LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

Old Fri 10/06/2017, 11:14 AM #1
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

BirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst men
Send a message via AIM to BirdOPrey5
Recycle Portable AC Unit

I know it's near the end of the season but sadly too warm around here to wait a few days for central air to be fixed.

Mom is trying to buy one of these from a local PC Richards who claim to have it in stock:

Amazon.com Friedrich PH14B 13500 btu - 115 volt - 9.5 EER ZoneAire series portable room air conditioner with reverse cycle Heat Pump Home Kitchen

Good reviews at Amazon, hoping for the best.

Although we got the generator last year it always bothered me no good backup for the central air,, or heat, this could be backup for both.
-Joe (This is Post #5,162,799)

After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true...
BirdOPrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 10/06/2017, 11:40 AM #2
Ralph
Beer Santa 🎅🍻

Ralph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfectRalph is damn near perfect
Send a message via ICQ to Ralph Send a message via AIM to Ralph Send a message via MSN to Ralph Send a message via Yahoo to Ralph

Make sure it's a two hose, otherwise you lose all your cooling out the window thanks to makeup air.
Old Fri 10/06/2017, 11:41 AM #3
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst men

Portables work well
Old Fri 10/06/2017, 12:01 PM #4
BobKid
Bite me!

BobKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
Portables work well
used them in server rooms when building AC went out several times
BobKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 10/06/2017, 12:09 PM #5
DieselSJ
The 'In' Crowd

DieselSJ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKid View Post
used them in server rooms when building AC went out several times
^^This^^ We had a couple at a past company.
DieselSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 10/07/2017, 06:09 AM #6
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

BirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst men

Literally the only window we could use that wasn't in a bedroom. My front windows all open out and the other window is kitchen. The dining room table is usually here but mom moved it into the "new" room we had converted from a bedroom last year. The temporary walls are up to keep the cool air out of that side of the house. No one really uses it.

The garbage bags were just something quick since we couldn't close the blinds. WT.

Put a towel around the exhaust to help insulate it a bit better, seen people say that helps.
Old Sun 10/08/2017, 04:11 PM #7
Toney Marconi
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Toney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfectToney Marconi is damn near perfect

If I was closer, I have one I would have given you.

Leave the Gun, Take the cannoli
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 10/08/2017, 05:32 PM #8
Meh
Born-Again Hawaiian

Meh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post

We had one just like that my father-in-law brought over when the run capacitor went out on our condenser, and anybody who had the part wasnt selling to non-contractors. Damn thing never got lower than 86° and only in the room it was in. The rest of the house was high 90's. I think outside it was 106°IIRC.

I see Home Depot now carries kits that will work in a pinch; the dumbasses working there all said "naw, we ain't got nuthin like that here." I should get a job there slapping employees.

Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 10/08/2017, 05:49 PM #9
BrandonM7
MaMway Platinum Member

BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!BrandonM7 is spectacular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh View Post
We had one just like that my father-in-law brought over when the run capacitor went out on our condenser, and anybody who had the part wasnt selling to non-contractors. Damn thing never got lower than 86° and only in the room it was in. The rest of the house was high 90's. I think outside it was 106°IIRC.

I see Home Depot now carries kits that will work in a pinch; the dumbasses working there all said "naw, we ain't got nuthin like that here." I should get a job there slapping employees.
If you mean Home Depot having the capacitor, that's a relatively new thing so they may not have lied to you. They didn't have them last summer when mine died, but I noticed they did when I was looking for something else the other day. If you meant Home Depot saying they didn't have portable AC units, just pretend I didn't post anything because they've had those forever
BrandonM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 10/08/2017, 05:55 PM #10
Meh
Born-Again Hawaiian

Meh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to beholdMeh is a splendid one to behold

No. The capacitor kits. I don't think they had those in-store, but I saw some on the website. They have these ridiculous swamp boxes, like you'd see on the NFL sidelines. No portables at the time, or I would've bought one just for the master bedroom. Oh the whining that went on all night.

And why should I have to wait for a $300 tech call when I can do it myself? Fawking BS. I told one parts house that I was a telecom contrator, but no HVAC cert no part.

Last edited by Meh; Sun 10/08/2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old Tue 10/10/2017, 06:03 AM #11
serfur1
bici italia

serfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant futureserfur1 has a brilliant future

I've always ordered start capacitors from Amazon with next day delivery.

Also had to order a thermopile for the gas water heater from Amazon.
serfur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue 10/10/2017, 08:43 AM #12
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

Sears looked at the Central AC. the Air Handler/Evaporator Fan Motor, estimate is $1000. $1000 happens to be the max my home warranty covers. And they don't have the part in stock. The guy who came was less than helpful. I'm going to try and see if there's anyplace else with the part in stock.

First real letdown by sears.
Old Tue 10/10/2017, 10:02 AM #13
frank_c
lost in the jet stream

frank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond reputefrank_c has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Haier/Commercial Cool portable AC. Mom used it in their TV room, and when their landlord put in a new furnace he added central air. I ended up with it a few years ago, last summer the squirrel cage fan broke. Found a replacement on eBay but haven't fixed it yet. Good thing it didn't get that hot this summer.

Quote:
And why should I have to wait for a $300 tech call when I can do it myself? Fawking BS. I told one parts house that I was a telecom contrator, but no HVAC cert no part.
The backflow preventer on my boiler started leaking. I called the local HVAC guy, they don't use the same brand (Caleffi is what the contractor put in after the gas fire) and quoted me about $600 to replace it. Found the proper Caleffi on eBay for $75. Didn't take long to swap it out.

Last edited by frank_c; Tue 10/10/2017 at 10:06 AM.
frank_c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue 10/10/2017, 09:36 PM #14
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angel

When you have a tiny budget, you have to do for yourself if you want it. Hence forays into appliance repair etc. Repaired my water heater before I moved in. Repaired my dishwasher too (it failed permanently a month or so later). Then I had to fix my washing machine. I've done most of the rewiring so far, I didn't do the new panel. I'll do the floor refinishing as I rip the carpet out.

I need to move a doorway in the basement, it goes through the stone foundation. But it's in a shitty place that wastes space. So I'll address that.

**** paying for shit if I don't have to.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue 10/10/2017, 09:44 PM #15
Chite5e
The 'In' Crowd

Chite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angelChite5e is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
When you have a tiny budget, you have to do for yourself if you want it. Hence forays into appliance repair etc. Repaired my water heater before I moved in. Repaired my dishwasher too (it failed permanently a month or so later). Then I had to fix my washing machine. I've done most of the rewiring so far, I didn't do the new panel. I'll do the floor refinishing as I rip the carpet out.

I need to move a doorway in the basement, it goes through the stone foundation. But it's in a shitty place that wastes space. So I'll address that.

**** paying for shit if I don't have to.
**** doing things if I don’t have to. I’d rather spend time with my family. Especially the littlest of them.
Chite5e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 10/11/2017, 02:07 PM #16
Jays89YJ
Udaho

Jays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angel

That install is TITE
Jays89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 10/11/2017, 02:09 PM #17
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

Blower Motor 0231K00037A GoodmanAmana 1HP Programmed ECM | Goodman Repair Parts

This is the piece I need, but PITA to get someone to install it.
Old Sun 10/15/2017, 02:40 PM #18
John
Transplant

John has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post

Literally the only window we could use that wasn't in a bedroom. My front windows all open out and the other window is kitchen. The dining room table is usually here but mom moved it into the "new" room we had converted from a bedroom last year. The temporary walls are up to keep the cool air out of that side of the house. No one really uses it.

The garbage bags were just something quick since we couldn't close the blinds. WT.

Put a towel around the exhaust to help insulate it a bit better, seen people say that helps.
Put that poor dog on a diet yet?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 10/15/2017, 06:50 PM #19
Meh
Born-Again Hawaiian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Put that poor dog on a diet yet?

Even my rescue animals eat better than I do.

Old Sun 10/15/2017, 08:02 PM #20
John
Transplant

John has disabled reputation

Quote:

Even my rescue animals eat better than I do.

My dog only gets the top care and food as well, but there is a difference between that and animal abuse. It pisses me off what happened to his past dogs.
John is offline   Reply With Quote