• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

[]IIIIII[]

I had one of those....it was craptastic. All the emission control gizmos because AMC couldn't afford a fuel injection system to the peugeot transmission.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I had one of those....it was craptastic. All the emission control gizmos because AMC couldn't afford a fuel injection system to the peugeot transmission.
You bought the wrong year. I had several and they were all awesome. They were all 1991+ though. 87-90 just blew.

Well I figured that out pretty quick. They weren't bad once mopar slapped fuel injection on it and put something other than a French tranny behind it.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Hey! That's my Jeep!

Well, I changed a few things, like the engine, transmission, axles, bumpers, suspension, you know, minor stuff. But that's my Jeep!

:jump:

chris142

Left the Monestry.
VIP
I had an 89 with a 2.5 and no PS. The 2.5 sounded like it was ready to blow up and it did with 99,997miles on it. The trans lost 3rd gear synchro @70K so I had to float that gear every time.

Broke a bunch of leaf springs. Still dont know why, was not lifted at all.

Used to get in the way of loaded semi trucks on hills. Nothing like a Freightliner grill in your rear view mirror and Pedro thinks your poking along on purpose.

The steering wheel would rip out of your hand if you were not holding it tight. It was fuel injected (Renault F.I. I believe) and it still would not start on a cold morning.

Got 12mpg on the road but it would idle around on trails all day and the gas guage never moved.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
My '89 was great with the 4.2L... after I ripped all that emissions shit out of there, rebuilt the motor with quality internals and stepped up cam, installed a 4bbl intake w/ carb, Unilite ignition, header and exhaust system.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
It had fuel injection by the time they made my 95 YJ. One of the most dependable and trouble free motors I've ever had. Still have it.

My '89 was great with the 4.2L... after I ripped all that emissions shit out of there, rebuilt the motor with quality internals and stepped up cam, installed a 4bbl intake w/ carb, Unilite ignition, header and exhaust system.
My '89 4.2L was great once I learned to replace the ICM with the Motorlite one for real trucks and relocated out of the freaking wheel well.

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
You bought the wrong year. I had several and they were all awesome. They were all 1991+ though. 87-90 just blew.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a couple weeks ago a friend kept calling me with YJ's he found for sale, I said 1991 OR NEWER ONLY. Fawker still called me asking about 1988, 1989.... lulz. :rolleyes: Ended up with a 1991, which was the last year of the analog dash clock BTW. I had a couple 1991's.

I LOL at anyone who says 80's CJ's are better than YJ's. D300 and CJ grille are the only two things that the 80's CJ has over the YJ.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a couple weeks ago a friend kept calling me with YJ's he found for sale, I said 1991 OR NEWER ONLY. Fawker still called me asking about 1988, 1989.... lulz. :rolleyes: Ended up with a 1991, which was the last year of the analog dash clock BTW. I had a couple 1991's.

I LOL at anyone who says 80's CJ's are better than YJ's. D300 and CJ grille are the only two things that the 80's CJ has over the YJ.
I have to agree with peter pan

ccsp

Hello internet
VIP
91 is the best YJ. 4.0L HO, dash clock and CJ roll bar.

YJ = best looking Wranger ever. I miss my 91 :(

CJs are TRASH

I have an 87. Motor went over a year ago, but I finally picked up a 4.0 to put in it, should be in within a week or 2.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty much spot on. I would not right out dismiss the early YJ's, they have kinks that can be easily worked out, but a 1991 is the best. I do wish they had stuck with the 1987 mirrors for a factory solution to door removal.