• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

motorcycle shopping

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'd enjoy a Buell. They've always looked like fun bikes to me.
The novelty wears off quickly. Within 100 miles you realize that the engine simply isn't matched to the riding style. Now that I've owned and logged miles on pretty much every style of bike one can have I understand why things that seem cool don't succeed. In this case, shitloads of torque and no ability to rev - every time you want it to make power you're hitting the rev limiter, every time you don't need power it has an annoying amount. If you like just doing low speed wheelies and not really going fast they're perfect, but that's about it. Maybe if you stayed in 5th gear and just grunted it would be okay, but it doesn't have THAT much low end. It's just a hat-trick that never quite works right.

Now, the Rotax-powered 1125 Buells - I'd probably dry hump that, but haven't had a chance to.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'm assuming unions, the EPA, and the appeal of throwing $4k worth of junk together and selling it as a $40k "chopper" kind of ruins the chances of having an American manufacturer make a decent non-Harley styled bike.

I once heard that the average supersport m/c that sells for ~$12k new has about $10k worth of R&D in it. That doesn't leave a lot of room for profit. I expect that an American made competitor would have to cost $20k+ to be viable.
You really might be surprised at how enjoyable comfy cruising can be. You know I've had a bunch of different bikes, I've had one practically since birth. Every style of riding is fun if you do it right - at least it is to me. The older I get the more dust I have to knock off of the fast bikes when I want to play, and the more I regret doing it the next morning. I can have fun dragging the boards on the Vision at (relatively) sane speeds on normal roads and then use it to ride to work every day of the week. I prefer to call it "growing up," but I know it's really "getting old." :(

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
The novelty wears off quickly. Within 100 miles you realize that the engine simply isn't matched to the riding style. Now that I've owned and logged miles on pretty much every style of bike one can have I understand why things that seem cool don't succeed. In this case, shitloads of torque and no ability to rev - every time you want it to make power you're hitting the rev limiter, every time you don't need power it has an annoying amount. If you like just doing low speed wheelies and not really going fast they're perfect, but that's about it. Maybe if you stayed in 5th gear and just grunted it would be okay, but it doesn't have THAT much low end. It's just a hat-trick that never quite works right.

Now, the Rotax-powered 1125 Buells - I'd probably dry hump that, but haven't had a chance to.
Well dang :(

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Isn't Buell dead?
Yeah - it was a stupid idea. He's now making ~$50k pipe dreams that probably still suck.

Well dang :(
Sorry bro :( I love low-end power, but if you're gonna stuff it in a sport bike you need more than a 5k rev range. Don't sweat it - KTM, Ducati, Aprilia, etc still have sport bikes (that work) with good grunt :beerchug:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
What are you doing Wednesday?

:biker:
V-Strom or something like the KLR better suited to our newly titled "velcro shoe tour" next year? I don't know the terrain well enough to know if I should look for more street or more dirt oriented dualie. If it's more geared toward the KLR or XL type my KTM could do it, it just can't sit still for long and doesn't carry much fuel. Both of those can be upgraded, though. If we're talking more trail I can just toss the big tank, radiators and fan kit on it and I'm good to go.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
V-Strom or something like the KLR better suited to our newly titled "velcro shoe tour" next year? I don't know the terrain well enough to know if I should look for more street or more dirt oriented dualie. If it's more geared toward the KLR or XL type my KTM could do it, it just can't sit still for long and doesn't carry much fuel. Both of those can be upgraded, though. If we're talking more trail I can just toss the big tank, radiators and fan kit on it and I'm good to go.

I still haven't figured it out myself. I think one of each.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I think you like spending my money more than I do :jump:
I saw some trails last week that were probably too much for me to handle on my 500 pound bike. Something really light with good range and the ability to cruise 55 or 60 for about an hour at a time would be good. Really the weight and traction, handling...

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
I took my 550lb. street bike on street tires over Mosquito. :shrug:

#onewheeldrive!!!!1!!!

I'll never do it again! Too many large dings in the skid plate, have to pry it to put the bolts in after changing oil now. jjj

Last edited:

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
V-Strom or something like the KLR better suited to our newly titled "velcro shoe tour" next year?
Well, I sold my plated YZ450F about 2 months ago...No need in having it around when I have a work bike someone else pays for(fuel pump ate shit yesterday LOL). I'm down to the V-Strom. There are plenty of places in Denver to rent Vstroms, a Beemer GS, 990/1190 Adventure etc.

I'm trying to sell my travel trailer tomorrow. Perhaps I'll go buy a 690 enduro. :nono:

Go buy a multistrada and put some 80/20 tires on it.

I gotta work. Meetings and crap.
:gay:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Super Tenere or Multistrada may be in my future. :shush:
You're still young, and you're only young once - go Multistrada or KTM ADV -- don't judge KTM solely on your single purpose-built bike, they make great all-around shit.

Last edited: