• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

History of the JUOT Logo

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
As we near this forum's 9th bday on June 10, 2017, and because it was sort of brought up in a private forum, I figured I would expand on a history of the JUOT Logo.

As I rushed to open JUOT less than 48 hours after the OT forum at JU was closed I was not worried too much about a logo. I recall in the early days several logos being used.

The earliest I believe was this:

Which had morphed into the bunny logo before the end of June:

By the end of July 2008 I had settled on the logo design. Being primarily drivers, be it Jeep or something else, the idea of a highway sign appealed to me.

Specifically, one I had always enjoyed seeing through a number of trips from Phoenix to Sedona, Arizona was this one for Bumble Bee:

The best I could do at the time was this simple logo that defined the forum for over 2 years:

After a rash of divorces seem to hit the forum someone created this logo in jest, though it may have been used only as a joke, it was worthy of inclusion:

Toward the end of summer of 2010 I felt the logo would benefit from a professional upgrade. I bid the project out to 48 Hour Logos, a site where dozens of graphic artists compete for your project. You ultimately select a winner who gets the money for your project, in exchange you get the high resolution images.

I was happy with the relatively low price and high quality of the design.

The new logo remains to this day the foundation of the JUOT Logo however there have been some modifications.

One such modification was the removal of the tag line "The Last Exit on the Internet" so I could dynamically add random sayings on each page load.

The JUOT Express Classic style required a less colorful logo so it would not stand out for users browsing the site from work which gave birth to what I called the "Cool" version of the logo:

On September 11, 2011 I decided to make a custom logo image for the day. Since it was a spur of the moment thing I put together the best I could, I didn't have a lot of time though I believe I attempted to keep the logo the same basic size as the regular forum logo:

From this point on I decided custom images for various holidays and special events should be planned in advance and rather than starting from scratch I used extra time to modify the regular JUOT "Exit Sign" logo to fit the special days.

By the following year the September 11th memorial Logo was now:

Other custom logos over the years include-

The World Cup:

The anniversary of Star Trek:

and Easter which features Sampson, as well as the "T" in JUOT changed into a cross.

There are a number of additional custom logos and they can be browsed by accessing the directory: https://www.juot.net/forums/images/logos/

I'd be remiss not to post my favorite variation (after Star Trek of course) - the US Flag used for holidays when flying the flag is traditional.

Max Power

Joe's Legs
Staff member
Administrator
BOP has done a fine job with JUOT. If all boards were ran this well then ... well... then the Internet would be filled with boards like JUOT.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. All your hard work shows, Joe.

Learn to code in C++ next. :)