LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. It was started 275 days ago, there may be recent replies. Consider making a new thread before posting.

Old Sun 06/26/2016, 11:26 AM #21
miwico
Enemy of Brock

miwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angel

I just drove the thing 30 miles doing 85mph, no excessive noise to be found.
Old Sun 06/26/2016, 11:28 AM #22
miwico
Enemy of Brock

miwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angelmiwico is an angel

Here is a quote from Road and Track on the 2008 focus, which is the same exact one as mine.
Quote:
Contributing to the new comfort is a significantly quieter interior. Wind-tunnel tests have helped reduce wind noise by 8 percent, and a special acoustic windshield teams with slightly thicker side glass and other sound-deadening materials in the door panels, C-pillars and parcel shelf to make the Focus impressively quiet.

With the new Wayne, Michigan-built Focus, Ford has kept the good (the handling dynamics) and fixed the bad (the dated interior and road noise), while frosting the deal with the reasonably priced Sync.
miwico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 06/26/2016, 06:48 PM #23
Hooligan
On fleek

Hooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfect

Let's just keep in mind that your baseline for evaluating vehicles is an XJ.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 06/26/2016, 08:19 PM #24
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
What's wrong with the XJunk?
Old Sun 06/26/2016, 08:23 PM #25
Mike
The 'In' Crowd

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Whats right with it?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 06/26/2016, 08:52 PM #26
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angel

Quote:
Old Sun 06/26/2016, 09:47 PM #27
Al Johnson
Northwoods Hillbilly

Al Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

You guys sure hate on the XJ a lot. For a car designed by a dying AMC in the 80s, it's not terrible. Is it a great car? No, but it's a car designed by a dying AMC in the 80s. I had one, drove it for several years, and was reasonably pleased with it.
Al Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 06/26/2016, 10:12 PM #28
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfect

Except when it's broken down in the weeds, it's a great ride.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 12:52 AM #29
Jays89YJ
Udaho

Jays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angel

No, I drove a piece of shit Jeep in your area a few weeks ago and it had a lot of road noise. The roads there are pretty friggin' loud actually. They have that grooved finished concrete. It's gotta be loud in your car.

Quote:
Your sister finds the shittiest examples of any car and buys them.
I have two. One had a bad experience with a Subaru. This one is my youngest sister, the one who rolled the 4-runner I got her. She has some Ford hybrid similar to a Prius. I don't remember the model, but it has quite a bit less road noise than the '08 Focus she ran for a few years before going overseas to work.
Jays89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 07:57 AM #30
whiskey tango
warmonger

whiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfectwhiskey tango is damn near perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays89YJ View Post
No, I drove a piece of shit Jeep in your area a few weeks ago and it had a lot of road noise. The roads there are pretty friggin' loud actually. They have that grooved finished concrete. It's gotta be loud in your car.

I have two. One had a bad experience with a Subaru. This one is my youngest sister, the one who rolled the 4-runner I got her. She has some Ford hybrid similar to a Prius. I don't remember the model, but it has quite a bit less road noise than the '08 Focus she ran for a few years before going overseas to work.
Pics?
Don't lose your dinosaur.

Jeremiah 51:20
whiskey tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 08:57 AM #31
miwico
Enemy of Brock

Quote:

Right but you know I think the XJ is golden.
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 09:43 AM #32
Hooligan
On fleek

Hooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfectHooligan is damn near perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwico View Post
Right but you know I think the XJ is golden.
That is the problem. Compared to other 1984 vehicles, the XJ was indeed a good design.

kind of like this, but I don't see anyone using one of these every day:

macintosh

Last edited by Hooligan; Mon 06/27/2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 09:43 AM #33
Jays89YJ
Udaho

Jays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angel

The only XJ experiences I have is my family had a 1991 Briarwood and I looked at buying a '91 Briarwood out of NJ as my first vehicle, but bought the YJ instead. I really liked the Briarwood, but was in HS at the time. My roommate in college had a '99 Classic Limited and it was a decent XJ too.

I'd take either of the aforementioned XJs, in the condition they were in at the time of ownership, over the Compass I rolled around in during my visit to Ft. Collins.
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 11:09 AM #34
miwico
Enemy of Brock

Quote:
That is the problem. Compared to other 1984 vehicles, the XJ was indeed a good design.

kind of like this, but I don't see anyone using one of these every day:

macintosh
You liked your XJ.
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 12:32 PM #35
Hooligan
On fleek

Quote:
You liked your XJ.
Yeah, but it is not exactly the base line for a quality vehicle

I liked the size, the style, and the simplicity. Nothing like that exists any more on the new car market. A 4Runner and a JK are the closest and they are a lot bigger.
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 12:34 PM #36
miwico
Enemy of Brock

Quote:
Yeah, but it is not exactly the base line for a quality vehicle

I liked the size, the style, and the simplicity. Nothing like that exists any more on the new car market. A 4Runner and a JK are the closest and they are a lot bigger.
Yeah no shit, I'm not saying it's refined but like you say, nothing exists that is quite like it.
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 12:42 PM #37
Hooligan
On fleek

Quote:
Yeah no shit, I'm not saying it's refined but like you say, nothing exists that is quite like it.
This is what I would want:

LandCruiser 70 GXL Wagon Specifications
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 12:43 PM #38
miwico
Enemy of Brock

Quote:

You have to move to get one.
Old Mon 06/27/2016, 01:12 PM #39
Jays89YJ
Udaho

Quote:

**** yeah!
Old Fri 07/22/2016, 10:16 PM #40
miwico
Enemy of Brock

Put new steering wheel cruise and radio controls in tonight. Had to take the steering wheel apart aka take the air bag off. Did due diligence and de energized the car for about 20 minutes and handled it with care. Came off easy enough and the controls went in with no issues. Problem wasn't the switch function, I wore all the paint off in 9 years so all I had for indication was my memory of what went where. Not difficult but it's nice to see everything as it should be. aee82a1633a98924f13c0d868a4af9f9