LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. It was started 1666 days ago, there may be recent replies. Consider making a new thread before posting.

Old Sat 05/04/2013, 12:34 AM #21
Ulf Fwatling
The 'In' Crowd

Ulf Fwatling will become famous soon enoughUlf Fwatling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey tango View Post
I've been buying audio books lately since i spend so much time on the road or just sitting in my truck on location. Just finished starship troopers about a week ago. I never expected it to be what it was. The movie was so campy I didn't expect much. I was completely wrong. It's amazing how he predicted/influenced military technology. Looking forward to more but don't know where to start.

I finished the time machine a few days ago. Before starship troopers was 20000 leagues under the sea. Kicking around getting atlas shrugged.
I can't bring myself to forgive Verhoeven for what he did to Starship Troopers, in putting it on the screen.

I am inclined to think that his CGI version - "Roughnecks: The Starship Trooper Chronicles" may be an attempt at apologia: it's an expansion on the story, still with some changes, but closer (philosophically) to the novel. That's why I can't quite forgive him - instead of just condemning him outright.

The sole redeeming point of Verhoven's movie was Dina Meyer topless, I think.

Ŕ tout le monde,
Ŕ tout mes amis,
Je vous aime,
Je dois partir.
Ulf Fwatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 05/04/2013, 09:47 AM #22
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

BirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst menBirdOPrey5 is a god amongst men
Send a message via AIM to BirdOPrey5

The Klingon Hamlet William Shakespeare, Nick Nicholas, Andrew Strader, Klingon Language Institute 9780671035785 Amazon.com Books
-Joe (This is Post #1,596,710)

After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true...
BirdOPrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 05/04/2013, 09:54 AM #23
theBucketeer
Your superior

theBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these partstheBucketeer is infamous around these parts

Books are for children and liberals. Real men read nothing but magazines.
Old Sat 05/04/2013, 10:13 AM #24
Qckslvr
succomb to the madness

Mahjong Match Champion

Qckslvr has disabled reputation

Don Quixote
Old Sat 05/04/2013, 10:28 AM #25
KirbyJeep
The 'In' Crowd

KirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these partsKirbyJeep is infamous around these parts

Currently reading the Reacher series, and anything by Robert B. Parker.
When government punishes law-abiding citizens for the crimes of criminals by usurping the people’s Constitutionally guaranteed rights and freedoms, the rule of law is lost as is the credibility of that government.
KirbyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 05/04/2013, 05:15 PM #26
Ulf Fwatling
The 'In' Crowd

Ulf Fwatling will become famous soon enoughUlf Fwatling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
It should be added that the Dune books written by Herbert Junior are not worth reading. Dune can be finished with Chapterhouse.
Dunno - they may not be as solid as the original six, but I enjoy the development of the universe backstory with the prequels. Not so sanguine about the sequelae, tho.
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 03:48 AM #27
ILLXJ
The 'In' Crowd

ILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these partsILLXJ is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnervel View Post
I recently finished Brad Meltzer's The Fifth Assassin
Just started this one.

JIM.
ILLXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 08:00 AM #28
Max Power
Joe's Legs

Max Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these partsMax Power is infamous around these parts

The only book I head is the holy bible! ray:
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 08:33 AM #29
RandyMolson
Close friend of Keyton

RandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to behold

Just finished Bulls and Bullfighting, published 1964 in Spain:

...and a good Coltrane bio:

I am reading this book which describes the historical and cultural bases for their endless warring and also helps understand the jihad movements as more about lower class revolutions than religion:
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 05:55 PM #30
neevo
Limey Hippo

neevo has disabled reputation

What is that, a colouring book?
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 06:03 PM #31
neevo
Limey Hippo

A Deniable Death, By Gerald Seymour

Review: A Deniable Death, By Gerald Seymour - Reviews - Books - The Independent

He wrote Harry's Game which was msde into a TV series in the 70's or 80's and is still a damn good read

A fantastic thriller writer whose heroes do not always survive which may not suit those that like a happy ending
neevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 06:18 PM #32
Ulf Fwatling
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by neevo View Post
A Deniable Death, By Gerald Seymour

Review: A Deniable Death, By Gerald Seymour - Reviews - Books - The Independent

He wrote Harry's Game which was msde into a TV series in the 70's or 80's and is still a damn good read

A fantastic thriller writer whose heroes do not always survive which may not suit those that like a happy ending
Being a hero carries an inherent risk of death - heroes don't always survive.

This is why I think that, if we're going to make "heroes" out of pro sports players, we should introduce danger to the game. Play most of these games in minefields. Get rid of pads/armour. That sort of thing. (At least make them earn those ridiculous salaries they get, and explosions may actually make the games somewhat interesting...)
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 07:03 PM #33
neevo
Limey Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf Fwatling View Post
Being a hero carries an inherent risk of death - heroes don't always survive.

This is why I think that, if we're going to make "heroes" out of pro sports players, we should introduce danger to the game. Play most of these games in minefields. Get rid of pads/armour. That sort of thing. (At least make them earn those ridiculous salaries they get, and explosions may actually make the games somewhat interesting...)
It's called Rugby when you do that

Rollerball (the stuntmen that did that movie continued to play the game after filming was over, they had that much un playing it!)
neevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 10:09 PM #34
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angel

Quote:
I've been buying audio books lately since i spend so much time on the road or just sitting in my truck on location. Just finished starship troopers about a week ago. I never expected it to be what it was. The movie was so campy I didn't expect much. I was completely wrong. It's amazing how he predicted/influenced military technology. Looking forward to more but don't know where to start.

I finished the time machine a few days ago. Before starship troopers was 20000 leagues under the sea. Kicking around getting atlas shrugged.
I wish I'd gotten into audio books when I drove all the time. I do have a number of them loaded on my phone and ipod to take with me when I walk. Didn't have to pay for them as they are "work related" personal development stuff and my company provides them.

My physical reading is some book on WSH & VBScript. Meh.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 10:16 PM #35
TacticalFats
Odometer of The Beast

TacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud ofTacticalFats has much to be proud of

Fiction annoys the shit out of me; in the past few months it's been WW2, Afghan and Iraq war books, with a civil war era book tossed in last week (Killing Lincoln).

I find that if I read them on my Xoom, I blow through ~350 page books in a day or two. I started An Army at Dawn, first of a trilogy on WW2; this one is over 700 pages.
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 11:47 PM #36
whiskey tango
warmonger

whiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angelwhiskey tango is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
I wish I'd gotten into audio books when I drove all the time. I do have a number of them loaded on my phone and ipod to take with me when I walk. Didn't have to pay for them as they are "work related" personal development stuff and my company provides them.

My physical reading is some book on WSH & VBScript. Meh.
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.
whiskey tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 05/05/2013, 11:53 PM #37
Canadian_gal
The 'In' Crowd

Canadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud ofCanadian_gal has much to be proud of

I am currently reading London by Edward Rutherford! This author is amazing! He chooses a handful of characters at one location (this one is in London, but I have read others called Sarum, and Russka), and they all somehow connect with each other at some point. The one I am currently reading starts in Roman times in London, and you follow these characters and their descendants through time until the 20th century. During each period, there is some true historical event(s) that happens that affects their lives. AMAZING book (his other books are written in the same way). Definitely learning a lot about London! Highly recommend any of his books!
Canadian_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 05/06/2013, 12:17 AM #38
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angelthemonk is an angel

Quote:
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.
I avoid modern music to the point that I really only know current "artist's" names when they get arrested.

Lately I've been listening to sea chanties a lot. With stuff like this mixed in...

Physical books are better, but both electronic and audio books have their places.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 05/06/2013, 07:00 AM #39
SAD
Wants $4.50 Gas

SAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonM7 View Post

It's exactly as interesting as you expect it to be.
Learn about this -> _optim_peek_user_binds=FALSE as an ora.init parameter
Old Mon 05/06/2013, 08:12 AM #40
Rugster
Old And In The Way

Rugster has disabled reputation

Rugster is offline   Reply With Quote