LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. It was started 1424 days ago, there may be recent replies. Consider making a new thread before posting.

Old Mon 05/06/2013, 07:26 PM #41
RandyMolson
Close friend of Keyton

RandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to beholdRandyMolson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalFats View Post
Fiction annoys the shit out of me.
This
Old Mon 05/06/2013, 07:42 PM #42
Ulf Fwatling
The 'In' Crowd

Ulf Fwatling will become famous soon enoughUlf Fwatling will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
I avoid modern music to the point that I really only know current "artist's" names when they get arrested.
Yeah. And even then, I'm usually asking "Who?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Physical books are better, but both electronic and audio books have their places.
I'm a dinosaur, I like turning pages. I can't get my head around CAD/CAM, I prefer drawing lines & turning knobs (besides, when you design something by hand, you have to think about where everything goes. This is why older cars could be easily worked on by human beings, while newer cards call for chimpanzees with four arms and three elbows in each arm & two thumbs on each hand!)

Designers & engineers should have to cut their teeth as mechanics - the only firm I can think of that did this was McDonnell-Douglas Aviation. "Want to be a design engineer? Your first five years will be as a mechanic!"

tout le monde,
tout mes amis,
Je vous aime,
Je dois partir.
Ulf Fwatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 05/06/2013, 08:01 PM #43
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfect

I work in support of CADD operations for our department but if I want to build something, I usually break out the pencil/paper and if I want it to look quasi good I'll dig out the t-square. I've hated every CADD application since AutoCAD 2.

Really should master MicroStation....
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 05/29/2013, 03:53 PM #44
Rammer
The 'In' Crowd

Rammer has disabled reputation

Predator's Ball

history of Michael Milken and subordinated debt & corp raiders in the 80's
Rammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 05/29/2013, 04:14 PM #45
pirranah
pierced dingaling

pirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angelpirranah is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey tango View Post
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.
I like going to Goodwill and buying a whole series or set of books for nothing.

Currently reading The Gunslinger. Only a couple pages left until I move on to "The Drawing of the Three"
Old Wed 05/29/2013, 04:22 PM #46
Al Johnson
Northwoods Hillbilly

Al Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeAl Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Currently reading "Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee."
Old Wed 05/29/2013, 11:55 PM #47
BlackDak
Banned

BlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfect

Death of Kings

Any Bernard Cornwell fans? - JUOT - Joes Ultimate Off Topic

&

americas hidden
BlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/30/2013, 06:50 AM #48
BirdOPrey5
JUOT Founder & Admin

BirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angelBirdOPrey5 is an angel

Oh that looks good. - Amazon.com Americas Hidden History Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation (9780061118197) Kenneth C. Davis Books
-Joe (This is Post #1,610,233)

After a time you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting...
BirdOPrey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/30/2013, 08:45 AM #49
BlackDak
Banned

BlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfectBlackDak is damn near perfect

It is pretty good. He doesn't connect each of the events all that well, just kind of covers one and moves on to the next. But he does provide a good level of detail.
Old Thu 05/30/2013, 07:25 PM #50
themonk
ex-monk.

themonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfectthemonk is damn near perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey tango View Post
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.
Been listening to them in the car a lot over the last few weeks. Got one going now on habits. Interesting things habits, part of our most basic nature that seems most in touch with our animal past.
Old Thu 05/30/2013, 07:28 PM #51
Rammer
The 'In' Crowd

picked up Moneyball for the tenth time last night.
Old Tue 06/11/2013, 10:18 AM #52
BlackDak
Banned

Nerd alert

fullDScover

Interesting stories about the discovery of the elements and the creation of the periodic table.

The title of the book is referring to an old magician's trick using the metal Gallium which has a melting point of 85 degrees. The trick uses Gallium formed into the shape of a spoon that "disappears" when submerged in hot water.
Old Fri 06/14/2013, 08:30 PM #53
Rammer
The 'In' Crowd

reading the Omaha hi/lo section of Doyle Brunson's Super System II
Old Fri 06/14/2013, 10:24 PM #54
themonk
ex-monk.

I've been listening to this of late. The Social Animal The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement David Brooks 9780812979374 Amazon.com Books
Old Fri 06/14/2013, 11:04 PM #55
TheOne&OnlyTT
Banned

TheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these partsTheOne&OnlyTT is infamous around these parts

water for the elephants by sara gruen.

it's about a guy in his 90's flashing back on his life as a circus vet from a nursing home.
TheOne&OnlyTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 06/15/2013, 08:49 PM #56
grigsby
The 'In' Crowd

grigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud ofgrigsby has much to be proud of

us winter of the world

second book was just as good as the first. Follett amazes me with the number of characters he uses and his ability to continually weave them together. If you haven't started this series I would wait until the 3rd book is out so you can read them back to back.

This one was 1k pages or so and after holding it up while reading in bed - i am damn close to buying a tablet or e-reader. 1k books get too heavy and cumbersome to carry around.

http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf

http://www.onlinetaxrevolt.com/

Last edited by grigsby; Sat 06/15/2013 at 09:08 PM.
grigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 06/15/2013, 09:45 PM #57
Qckslvr
succomb to the madness

Qckslvr has disabled reputation

Illusions the adventures of a reluctant mesiah.
Old Sat 06/15/2013, 10:28 PM #58
Jeepnut28
The 'In' Crowd

Jeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfectJeepnut28 is damn near perfect

Heroin Diaries.
Jeepnut28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 06/15/2013, 10:37 PM #59
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angelabqtj is an angel

juot.net
Old Wed 07/10/2013, 06:34 PM #60
Rammer
The 'In' Crowd

finished sweetness (walter payton)

holy shit what a loser. really did pout after no TD in SBXX. illegitimate kid he refused to meet. etc, etc.