LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. It was started 1156 days ago, there may be recent replies. Consider making a new thread before posting.

Old Sat 04/26/2014, 08:48 PM #1
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

wct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angel
Default Quadratop

First impression. Not good. Not nearly as tight as my 10y/o worn out Bestop sailcloth top. Doors don't seal right and I can see daylight through some of the stitches. I give it a 60% chance of leaking.
Old Sat 04/26/2014, 08:54 PM #2
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst men

Should have went with the TrekTop NX
Old Sat 04/26/2014, 09:33 PM #3
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

wct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angel

Should have gone with the Bestop sailcloth. I like the Trektop NX but need to open the rear window too often.
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat 04/26/2014, 09:35 PM #4
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst men

So open it...I don't see the problem
abqtj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 04/27/2014, 06:34 AM #5
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

Trektop looked like more of a hassle to open and close the back window. Anyway, the reviews I read on the Quadratop being on par with the Bestop sailcloth top were way off.
Old Sun 04/27/2014, 08:21 AM #6
mcatdtJEEP
The 'In' Crowd

mcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to behold

539951d1280957269 jeep tj wrangler frameless soft top brand new item bowless3

viking20fastback20S lg

I got the frameless soft top. Love it. The back windows even zip up into a bag you can store over the back seat

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Jeep TJ 97 06 and Rubicon 4

I HAVEN'T Even used the 3 back windows yet, but the top itself I have no complaints with so far
mcatdtJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 04/27/2014, 11:36 AM #7
Wharf Rat
Ooomph Ooomph

Wharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angelWharf Rat is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
Trektop looked like more of a hassle to open and close the back window. Anyway, the reviews I read on the Quadratop being on par with the Bestop sailcloth top were way off.
For the Trektop NX you just slide 2 zippers, pull the tailgate bar out and slide the window out. Not hard.

I will say the quality sounds similar to what you got though. Mine is about beat after 2 years.
Old Sun 04/27/2014, 04:47 PM #8
Jays89YJ
Udaho

Jays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angel

No top, no doors. The YJ has two sailcloth tops, one never opened and sent to me by mistake at no charge. Thanks Quadratec.
Jays89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun 04/27/2014, 05:00 PM #9
mcatdtJEEP
The 'In' Crowd

mcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to beholdmcatdtJEEP is a splendid one to behold

I go doorless 90% of the year.... but I HAVE to have a top over my head of my ginger self or I will sunburn
Old Mon 04/28/2014, 12:15 AM #10
John
Transplant

John has disabled reputation

I never bothered to remove my doors but I used to run no top with the front panels only. It worked great. Even if I got caught in a rain storm I remained relatively dry if I rolled all of the windows up.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 04/28/2014, 09:49 AM #11
ArizonaJeeper
The 'In' Crowd

ArizonaJeeper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I never bothered to remove my doors but I used to run no top with the front panels only. It worked great. Even if I got caught in a rain storm I remained relatively dry if I rolled all of the windows up.
Is that what a buddy had on his JK, just the "front" of the hard top....

If so... ****, I'd run that most of the year out here.
ArizonaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 04/28/2014, 10:48 AM #12
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJeeper View Post
Is that what a buddy had on his JK, just the "front" of the hard top....

If so... ****, I'd run that most of the year out here.
hell yeah

Once we get out of this stupid wind season I may do that for a bit here.
Old Mon 04/28/2014, 10:50 AM #13
John
Transplant

John has disabled reputation

Probably a good idea. It's a dust vacuum.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 04/28/2014, 11:01 AM #14
ArizonaJeeper
The 'In' Crowd

ArizonaJeeper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
hell yeah

Once we get out of this stupid wind season I may do that for a bit here.

He only has a 2dr...but still looked cool w/it and the doors on.
ArizonaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue 04/29/2014, 08:02 AM #15
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

Ordered the Quadratop Premium Sailcloth Replacement Top & Upper Doors last week and received it Saturday morning. At $439.99, I figured it would be a stellar deal, even if it didn't last as long as the more expensive Bestop offerings.

I read several reviews that gave it a thumbs up, but maybe I didn't dig deep enough.
quadratec - quadratop Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Quadratop Installed (Review Pics) - Jeep Wrangler Forum

I installed the top on Saturday. My first impression was that it wasn't nearly as tight fitting as my 8-10 year old Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-top that it was replacing. The top itself seemed fine on initial fitment, but upon installing the windows I could see a huge difference. When I installed the rear side windows, I was shocked that I didn't have to muscle them in.

On my old, worn out, top I would have to start with the top zipper, then attach it to the door surround, then pull on the back part as I pulled the zipper around the top corned and down towards the body. The result was a nice taut fit. With the Quadratop, the windows took no effort to install and the piece that fits into the channel on the door surround has slack in it.

The bigger problem was the half door skins. I installed them per the instructions and found the fit to be very poor. The front corners didn't line up well, and the frame actually poked a hole through the passenger side stitching when I was working on getting the top rear corner in. When closed into the bare door surrounds, they looked OK, but with the loose fitting top attached to the door surrounds, the foam rubber hangs up and sticks out at a funny angle. It actually gives some spring action to the door when you go to open it.

On the first test drive, I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed on-par with the old sailcloth top in terms of flapping and noise at highway speeds. I figured that with the loose fit, it would flap a lot more. That didn't seem to be the case.

Yesterday it rained most of the day. When I opened the door to leave work I found a puddle on the inside of the door. Turns out that this top leaks worse than the old top that it replaced.

Big thumbs down from me. Going to see about returning it for a refund towards either the Bestop Replace-a-top or the Trektop NX.

Choices are:
Bestop 79121-01 - Bestop Wrangler TJ - Quadratec
Bestop Wrangler TJ - Quadratec

Leaning towards the Trektop NX.
Old Tue 04/29/2014, 08:24 AM #16
mcatdtJEEP
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:
the trektop looks very similar to what I have in that frameless soft top..... but my top can't flip back (which I don't want because of my fair skin, anyways) how important is that feature to you? because the price difference is 600$ between that one and the one I got., the Rampage soft top
Rampage Products 109517 - Rampage Products Frameless Trail Top with Tinted Windows for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ - Quadratec
Old Tue 04/29/2014, 08:41 AM #17
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

There's a world of difference in the BEstop one and the other frameless ones out there. I had a Viking one (the original frameless) and wouldn't think twice about buying another bestop frameless if I needed one.
Old Tue 04/29/2014, 08:45 AM #18
frank_c
lost in the jet stream

frank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant future

Still running a 10+ year old Supertop. Hardware is starting to get a little loose but it doesn't leak. It gets stored inside for winter, maybe that's an advantage.

I am kind of leery of the supposedly cheap top options. Not a big fan of Q-tec either, probably wouldn't but that top even if the reviews were stellar.

Last edited by frank_c; Tue 04/29/2014 at 08:52 AM.
frank_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue 04/29/2014, 09:40 AM #19
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

Sailcloth is a requirement for me. Don't care about the flip top crap. I thought I read that the Trektop NX was on par with Bestop Sailcloth top in terms of weight. If anything, the Quadratop has made me more wary of the lower cost tops out there.
Old Tue 04/29/2014, 09:43 AM #20
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

Quote:
Sailcloth is a requirement for me. Don't care about the flip top crap. I thought I read that the Trektop NX was on par with Bestop Sailcloth top in terms of weight. If anything, the Quadratop has made me more wary of the lower cost tops out there.
It is