LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. It was started 1089 days ago, there may be recent replies. Consider making a new thread before posting.

Old Wed 04/30/2014, 04:42 PM #1
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

skeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to skeptic
Default Cord has been cut..

Just got off the phone with Comcast, cable TV cancelled. I just need to bring my cable M-card to their office so they don't start charging me a rental fee, I'll be bringing it back today.

How I'm doing it/my current setup:

Antenna + MythTV for live and recorded TV. Not really needed, but since I already had everything other than an antenna I decided to buy one. Haven't hooked it up yet, but soon.

Roku (bedroom) - you all know what it is. Over 1,000 "channels" and I haven't even scratched the surface. A lot (mostly?) junk I'd never have any interest in.

Fire TV (main TV)- I don't like the channel layout as much as the Roku, but over-all it's a better fit for me. It really does support everything I'd ever want in terms of streaming.

Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video/Prime, and DroidTV (Fire TV only) for streaming services. Works out to about $20 a month plus the yearly Amazon Prime subscription, and Amazon Prime pays for itself (and then some?) in free shipping. I also signed up for HitBliss on my tablet, watching 5 minutes of commercials gets me free Amazon movies and TV shows as well as some things that are HitBliss only.

Between these, I'm not really missing out on much at all, just a couple daily shows the wife watches (Judge Judy and Chelsea Lately). Not only that, I will be saving money AND we have access to a ton of crap that we couldn't watch before.
skeptic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 04:54 PM #2
Brock
The 'In' Crowd

Brock has disabled reputation

OMG
It'll be funny when the court documents show that I had you blocked for years on Facebook and LinkedIn for suspected stalking of me and my family, and it will be funny when it's proven that you did when they subpoena FB for your records. You've made me fear for mine and my families safety.
60JywpYgiphy

19929291804 37e6af519b o
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 06:07 PM #3
John
Transplant

John has disabled reputation

I didn't realize that anyone who had a job watched Judge Judy.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 07:13 PM #4
frank_c
lost in the jet stream

frank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant future

We'll have Judge Judy on at work at 4 am while we're waiting for the 4:30 news to start.

I am getting by with just Prime.
frank_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 07:33 PM #5
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

skeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant futureskeptic has a brilliant future

I didn't realize anyone actually watched live TV other than news and sports. It's all about the PVR.

Over the winter she worked from home a few times when the weather was really bad, and had the TV on in the background while she worked. After seeing the train wreck of people that come on that show she decided she wanted it recorded and was watching them when nothing else was on. Honestly, after getting the Roku and now the Fire TV I don't think she's watched a single episode, there are dozens of them unwatched on our PVR right now.
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 09:03 PM #6
frank_c
lost in the jet stream

frank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant futurefrank_c has a brilliant future

I just watched Survivor. And I gotta say that listening to the side effects on all the ****ing pharma ads makes me feel justified downloading network TV shows.
frank_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 09:27 PM #7
pejeeper
Ninjas need not apply

pejeeper has disabled reputation

Keep updating this thread. I feel that when I sell my current house and move into a new house, I'm doing just this. I want think that buying another Roku or 2 will still be cheaper than paying DirecTV over time and eventually replace my current TVs with Smart TVs.
pejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 09:43 PM #8
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

If by "over time" you mean in a few months, then yes. I don't know what you are paying, but I'd guess it's close to $90+ a month for DirecTV. At that price, three months of DirecTV = $270, two Rokus plus 3 months of Netflix + HuluPlus + DroidTV = ~$260.
Old Wed 04/30/2014, 09:59 PM #9
SAD
Wants $4.50 Gas

SAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I didn't realize that anyone who had a job watched Judge Judy.
Employed, Judge Judy fan

mrwave
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 01:20 PM #10
kthrash
I have Automotive A.D.D.

kthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond repute

how do you do all this if one has 8 TV's in the house?
kthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 01:39 PM #11
ArizonaJeeper
The 'In' Crowd

ArizonaJeeper has disabled reputation

Nice.

Let your wife know Chelsea is leaving the show before the end of the year, so she will only miss Judge Judy.
ArizonaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 01:39 PM #12
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthrash View Post
What part?

Something like Plex Media Server to serve up your locally ripped movies is really only dependent on the power of the computer running the server and how many streams you want to watch at the same time. Same with something like MythTV for the PVR, although live TV watching/recording is also limited by the number of tuners you have. I'd guess something like Simple.TV is similar to MythTV, but limited to only 2 tuners and 5 connections at once.

For the Fire TV/Roku at each TV, I suppose you could try moving them around to wherever you need them, but the better solution is to just a Roku/Fire TVs for each. The little Roku Streaming stick is only about $50, but it's wifi only and a bit slower than a $99 Roku 3.

If you own and watch 8 different TVs, you can probably afford 8 Roku or Fire TV boxes.
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 01:40 PM #13
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJeeper View Post
Nice.

Let your wife know Chelsea is leaving the show before the end of the year, so she will only miss Judge Judy.
Oh really? I don't actually watch the show, but I'm guessing my wife doesn't know as she hasn't mentioned it to me.
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 02:09 PM #14
ArizonaJeeper
The 'In' Crowd

ArizonaJeeper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
Oh really? I don't actually watch the show, but I'm guessing my wife doesn't know as she hasn't mentioned it to me.
Yes Sir, she announced it Monday and confirmed it on Conan the other night.

wants to travel, can't find guys in the US to bang her. lol
ArizonaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 02:36 PM #15
Jeepnut28
The 'In' Crowd

Jeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angelJeepnut28 is an angel

I'd be happy if we didn't have any television in the house at all.

mindless garbage if you ask me.
Jeepnut28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 07:49 PM #16
pejeeper
Ninjas need not apply

pejeeper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
If by "over time" you mean in a few months, then yes. I don't know what you are paying, but I'd guess it's close to $90+ a month for DirecTV. At that price, three months of DirecTV = $270, two Rokus plus 3 months of Netflix + HuluPlus + DroidTV = ~$260.
I watch very little "live tv". I'd keep the smallest cable/satellite pkg that gives me my local channels but most of my tv watching would be streamed. I pay almost $90/mo for 1 SD box, 1HD box and 1 HD DVR and the Total Choice Plus pkg with no premuim channels or sports pkgs. Rip-off. I need the higher channel package to get a few Disney channels that aren't included in the lower packages.

Last edited by pejeeper; Thu 05/01/2014 at 07:51 PM.
pejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 10:33 PM #17
SAD
Wants $4.50 Gas

SAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfectSAD is damn near perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnut28 View Post
I'd be happy if we didn't have any television in the house at all.

mindless garbage if you ask me.
Yet... You post here.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu 05/01/2014, 11:20 PM #18
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejeeper View Post
...most of my tv watching would be streamed. I pay almost $90/mo ... Rip-off. I need the higher channel package to get a few Disney channels that aren't included in the lower packages.
Sounds like you'd be better off dropping it completely and going streaming only.
Old Fri 05/02/2014, 03:32 AM #19
KJVBlueXJ
signaling the Mothership

KJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud ofKJVBlueXJ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthrash View Post
You set up an a/v distribution system with control from each room. It's not the cheap route, but if you need 8 TVs, that shouldn't be an issue.
KJVBlueXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri 05/02/2014, 09:06 AM #20
kthrash
I have Automotive A.D.D.

kthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond reputekthrash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJVBlueXJ View Post
You set up an a/v distribution system with control from each room. It's not the cheap route, but if you need 8 TVs, that shouldn't be an issue.
gimme some examples.. Currently I have DirectTV with 2 DVR's, one regular and one Genie, plus 6 more HD boxes, the whole house can watch anything from either DVR.. I also have 3 Apple TV's one in the LR, Playroom and my Bedroom.. If I could ditch DirecTV and only have one "box" in each room and maybe one in my Network closet I would drop it in a second.. I also have wired ethernet behind every TV.
kthrash is offline   Reply With Quote