You may remember the saga with .vg TLDs and the registry hijacking thread from last year:
Well that seems to have been somewhat resolved. KSRegistry apparently has become the new registrar for .vg domains. I got an email from firstname.lastname@example.org
on 5/22/2014 stating that KSRegistry has been delegated the responsibility for service functions for the .VG zone and that as the domain holder of my domain, that I would need to transfer my domain to one of the "accredited" .VG registrars.
Registrars | nic.VG
I was given a transfer code for my domain and informed that I had 7 days to complete the transfer. I browsed the list and only found one of the "accredited" registrars that appeared to have their site configured to allow registration of .vg domains. This registrar was 101domain.com.
I requested the transfer through 101domain.com on May 22 before 1pm EST and entered my payment information to cover the $44 fee. I got a confirmation stating that my order has been created and is being processed and that the time to register is approximately 24-48 hours.
On 5/23/2014, I logged in and saw that the status of my domain was "transfer in ready" but was confused by the fact that there was a heading on the account manager that stated "pre-registration" above my domain, so I put in a support ticket asking what that was about. The response from the support ticket was that .VG was not in "pre-registration". I figured out that the "pre-registration" thing was a folder that would contain any domains in that status, which mine was not.
I followed up on 5/27/2014 stating that my domain was still in a status of "transfer in ready". They responded by generating an invoice for $44 and asking me to "pay" it, which I did the same day.
On 6/4/2014, I submitted another support ticket asking when I could expect the domain to be usable as it had been two weeks since I requested the transfer.
On 6/5/2014, I got a response that my domain was now in "RedemptionPeriod" and was not able to be transferred.
Since then, I've gone back and forth between them and KSRegistry and ultimately was asked to provide a copy of my ID and the invoice for the domain to prove ownership. After doing so, 101domain was apparently able to have my domain record updated to reflect them as the registrar but now they're basically trying to ransom the domain back to me for an additional $100-150 (the amount has changed several times).
* I was given 7 days to transfer my domain to an accredited registrar.
* I requested the transfer to 101domain.com the same day and was informed that it would take 24-48 hours.
* Before the 7 days was up, I put in two support tickets with 101domain.com inquiring when the transfer would be complete.
* After 14 days had elapsed, 101domain.com informed me that my domain could not be registered as the original 7 days had elapsed.
* After some runaround 101domain requested a copy of my ID and invoice for the domain after consulting with KSRegistry about transferring control of the "deleted" domain.
* Now 101domain is trying to extort $150 from me on top of the original $44 because the domain was in "Redemption" as a direct result of their inability to perform the transfer service as originally requested.
I'm thinking about sending a registered letter demanding they relinquish control of the domain to me and cease & desist any redemption actions against the domain.
Technically, when a domain enters the Redemption Period, registrars hold onto them for some period (30-45 days) during which they charge the domain "owner" a fee to restore it, then will attempt to auction the domain off, and finally relinquish it completely so that it's available to be registered.
Bottom line: They're either completely incompetent or are scammers. Jury is still out on which.