LAST EXIT ON THE INTERNET

JUOT - Joe's Ultimate Off Topic > Off Topic (OT) > Off Topic (Public)

Notices

Off Topic (Public) Any thread don't mind being public (visible to guests and indexed by search engines) should be posted here. Be nice, these are posts people will see before they decide to join.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. It was started 904 days ago, there may be recent replies. Consider making a new thread before posting.

Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:03 PM #41
Schnervel
O'Doyle Rules

Schnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
What was your lead time on the granite? I think my project would be a 2 week deal if I weren't replacing the tile. Unfortunately, there really isn't any way around that.
The granite takes a week. You call them out and they measure using a really cool CAD system and they return a week later to install it.

Cabinets took 5 weeks. Placed the order on Dec 29.
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:04 PM #42
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

skeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
For resale/creating a rental - do an over-the-range microwave.... convenient spot for one...

For your own house, they are ghetto and they suck. I cannot imagine wanting one.
I like my over the range microwave. Granted, if my kitchen was laid out differently I'd rather have one integrated into the cabinets and a proper range hood, but the way things are it makes sense where it is.
skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:05 PM #43
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

wct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnervel View Post
The granite takes a week. You call them out and they measure using a really cool CAD system and they return a week later to install it.

Cabinets took 5 weeks. Placed the order on Dec 29.
Hmm. May have to adjust my timeline a bit.... 5 weeks on cabs would really suck since I probably won't be able to order until mid-late February.

Lowes quoted me 30 days lead time on granite, but I suspect the locally owned granite place will be faster. Going to see if I can get them to come give me a quote soonish.
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:05 PM #44
Schnervel
O'Doyle Rules

Schnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud ofSchnervel has much to be proud of

Quote:
May go the weekend of 2/14 or 2/21 with an updated drawing of the kitchen with wall dimensions rather than counter dimensions like the one in the first post and see what we can do.
If you come up this way, let me know. that Ikea isn't too far from my house, though personally, I wouldn't go with them. Their stuff doesn't hold up well.
Schnervel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:08 PM #45
SAD
Wants $4.50 Gas

SAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
I like my over the range microwave. Granted, if my kitchen was laid out differently I'd rather have one integrated into the cabinets and a proper range hood, but the way things are it makes sense where it is.
My kitchen is small - so space a premium... Yet I still pulled mine from above the range and replaced with regular vent-hood..... Using counter top microwave instead....

I hate it so much, I would go out to my garage and use the microwave there before I'd go back to an over-the-range unit.
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:16 PM #46
Ardvark
The 'In' Crowd

Ardvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfect

your kitchen is small enough you should go IKEA now and get the closeouts
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:18 PM #47
Ardvark
The 'In' Crowd

Ardvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfectArdvark is damn near perfect

also if you put a pot filler in without a disposal i'll totally ignore this thread and petition Joe to remove it
Ardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:24 PM #48
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

wct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angelwct097 is an angel

Quote:
If you come up this way, let me know. that Ikea isn't too far from my house, though personally, I wouldn't go with them. Their stuff doesn't hold up well.
Will do. I'm not worried about longevity myself, but I know a couple people that have been really happy with IKEA cabs. It really comes down to price. I simply can't afford to spend $10-15k in cabinets. I'm fine doing it myself, but really need to get down into the $5k range if at all possible. I'll be thrilled if I can keep this project under $15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardvark View Post
your kitchen is small enough you should go IKEA now and get the closeouts
My kitchen is small?
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:28 PM #49
skeptic
The 'In' Crowd

skeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond reputeskeptic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
My kitchen is small - so space a premium... Yet I still pulled mine from above the range and replaced with regular vent-hood..... Using counter top microwave instead....

I hate it so much, I would go out to my garage and use the microwave there before I'd go back to an over-the-range unit.
Wait, so an over the range built-in microwave is ghetto but having one sit on your counter isn't?
skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:29 PM #50
SAD
Wants $4.50 Gas

SAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angelSAD is an angel

Quote:
Wait, so an over the range built-in microwave is ghetto but having one sit on your counter isn't?
correct
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:33 PM #51
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

If I were designing my own kitchen, I'd have the gas cooktop on the island with a proper hood. Kind of hard to put an OTR microwave hanging from the ceiling.
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:36 PM #52
Schnervel
O'Doyle Rules

Quote:
I'll be thrilled if I can keep this project under $15k.
If you include appliances, my remodel will be about $11,000.

Last edited by Schnervel; Mon 01/05/2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:43 PM #53
abqtj
Cat6A 4 LYF!

abqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst menabqtj is a god amongst men

Quote:
If you include appliances, my remodel will be about $1,100.
um what?
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:46 PM #54
Ardvark
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:

My kitchen is small?
Didn't mean to insult you but 54 lf of cabinets should be in stock and you can get a decent deal if you are flexible

IM hoping to start mine in summer and I looked at IKEA but I need over 80 LF so I chose to wait for the new line
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:48 PM #55
Ardvark
The 'In' Crowd

Quote:
I hate the over the range ones
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 04:49 PM #56
Schnervel
O'Doyle Rules

Quote:
In a small kitchen like mine, it's the only way to go. Otherwise you lose way too much space.
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 05:04 PM #57
wct097
Burrito Syndicate

Quote:
Didn't mean to insult you but 54 lf of cabinets should be in stock and you can get a decent deal if you are flexible
Not insulted. Just surprised. I have a hard time imagining a much larger kitchen. Cabinet space is probably a poor measure of the size. The pantry rivals most walk in closets.

Quote:
IM hoping to start mine in summer and I looked at IKEA but I need over 80 LF so I chose to wait for the new line
I can't get started before 2/14, will see what they have when I go visit. That'll be my last stop in terms of cabinet shopping and I'll be making a decision at that point.
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 05:15 PM #58
grigsby
The 'In' Crowd

grigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant futuregrigsby has a brilliant future

You will get ripped buying cabinets from Lowes/HD. Box cabinets are a bitch to install if you actually care about the results. I made both of these mistakes and if I ever do it again I will have a custom cabinet guy do the job.

Good luck keeping it under $15k! I don't see it being possible with any decent quality.

http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf

http://www.onlinetaxrevolt.com/

Last edited by grigsby; Mon 01/05/2015 at 05:18 PM.
grigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 05:17 PM #59
Jays89YJ
Udaho

Jays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angelJays89YJ is an angel

Quote:
What do you mean "box cabinets"? My plan is to install myself, though I'm still going to get quotes for them both ways a reference point.
Cabinets you receive in cardboard boxes, unpackage and install. They are of standard sizes and mass produced. Face framed example - Masco Corporation. Frameless example - RSI.
Jays89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon 01/05/2015, 05:18 PM #60
Chite5e
The 'In' Crowd

Chite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfectChite5e is damn near perfect

Quote:
I hate some over the range ones - the one at my inlaws mountain cabin is crazy low, but the one in our kitchen does not impede cooking on the stove as it is mounted much higher.