• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Cell Phone Insurance?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
While we're on the subject of cell phones, I've been thinking about the insurance. I'm not sure it's ever been useful to me. Maybe for the first 6-12 months with a new phone when you can't buy them used for reasonable money, but beyond that, Craigslist is faster and cheaper. Furthermore, roughly 50% of the "insurance" phones I've gotten over the years had problems that clearly were the result of shoddy refurb work. Charging ports that didn't work, bad speakers, etc. Certainly not worth the $150-200 "deductible".

I seem to recall hearing about a 3rd party insurer on the radio. Anyone gone with one of those? I need to call Sprint and tell them to cancel that crap on my account.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Never bought it, never needed it. If I fawk up a phone I'll bite the bullet and buy a used one retail.

Hell, I've got enough old used phones in a drawer I could always just put one of those to use for a while if needed.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
I take especially good care of my phones. In the past 10 years, the only damage to a phone was the outer LCD screen of a flip phone cracking. The applephone4 that I've had for the past 3 years doesn't have a scratch on it, and it's been bouncing around my osprey pack for 5500+ miles of rocky mountain singletrack. :rockz:

mcatdtJEEP

The only thing it seems good for is lost/stolen. I cracked my screen (first time ever) about 6 months ago.

150$ deductable, while fixing the screen outright at a mall kiosk is $100....

Ralph

VIP
I've thought about seeing if I can/what the cost would be to schedule them on my homeowners policy with 0 deductible. They're already covered on most homeowners policies for 16 specific causes of loss, subject to deductible. So it's not much of a stretch for them to just extend the coverage to all causes of loss and no deductible. I bet it'd be 10-15 bucks a year.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I've thought about seeing if I can/what the cost would be to schedule them on my homeowners policy with 0 deductible. They're already covered on most homeowners policies for 16 specific causes of loss, subject to deductible. So it's not much of a stretch for them to just extend the coverage to all causes of loss and no deductible. I bet it'd be 10-15 bucks a year.
Briefly crossed my mind as well. I have my laptop on a "personal articles" policy. I'm sure I could do it with my phones as well. The only reason I maintain the cell phone insurance through Sprint is the idea that it's just more convenient if something happens. When my power button went out, Sprint wouldn't replace it under warranty because the moisture sensor by the headphone jack was tripped. My option was to spend $150 on the deductible and wait 2 days to get a shitty refurb, or buy a used one on Craigslist the same day for $100. Pretty easy decision.

Ralph

VIP
Briefly crossed my mind as well. I have my laptop on a "personal articles" policy. I'm sure I could do it with my phones as well. The only reason I maintain the cell phone insurance through Sprint is the idea that it's just more convenient if something happens. When my power button went out, Sprint wouldn't replace it under warranty because the moisture sensor by the headphone jack was tripped. My option was to spend $150 on the deductible and wait 2 days to get a shitty refurb, or buy a used one on Craigslist the same day for $100. Pretty easy decision.
In the case of homeowners insurance where it was scheduled on a personal articles floater, you could pretty much just go buy the new one and send them your receipt and the old phone. They'd send a check.

mcatdtJEEP

In the case of homeowners insurance where it was scheduled on a personal articles floater, you could pretty much just go buy the new one and send them your receipt and the old phone. They'd send a check.
how would that work for "stolen" though?

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I had to get Apple Care which was paid for or I could go without and be responsible for the damage out of my own pocket. No brainer.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
My visa card 'insures' my phone if I pay the bill entirely with my card. They tell me to not purchase ins. from verizon and if anything happens, they'll take care of it. Another CC 'perk' that I'll never take advantage of.

mcatdtJEEP

My visa card 'insures' my phone if I pay the bill entirely with my card. They tell me to not purchase ins. from verizon and if anything happens, they'll take care of it. Another CC 'perk' that I'll never take advantage of.
well, still great insurance though.... very rare anyone ever needs it... but when you do need it, you'll be glad it's there.

Ardvark

I dropped my. blackberry 40 feet onto concrete didn't break no case

This s4 had fallen dozens of times with case no issues.

Sons had 4 I phones all have had cracked screens
wife has had 3 ... 2 of them died due to water

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Even for a lost phone I had to file a police report + deductible + wait several days for delivery = never bought insurance again.

Went to the police station and they were clearly pissed they had to do "work" to get me a form and then enter it in their system.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Cancelled the coverage through Sprint yesterday. Next time I see my insurance agent, I'm going to see if I can get them (when we get newer phones) scheduled on the articles policy.