• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

I'm more excited for The Orville than Star Trek Discovery

I've been catching up on STD and now that I'm 3 or 4 episodes in I have formed some opinions.

*BOP was correct, these new Klingons suck. I don't like they way they look, they appear to be speaking a different language than the Klingon in everything else, their behavior is very different and it sounds like they have socks in their mouths.

*The whole show feels very low budget. It's like they have 2 or 3 sound stage setups plus some CGI.

*Without trying to reveal spoilers too much, it's starting to look like they stole some ideas from Dune - tech that is not and should not be part of the Start Trek universe. It just doesn't fit.

*Finally, it just doesn't feel like Star Trek. I kinda think the show would be better off not being Star Trek at all. Change the names of the Klingons and Star Fleet and the Federation, change the exterior look of the ships, and you have a completely new show.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So The Orville's season got cut to 12 episodes once they got confirmed for a 2nd season, no solid reason given but apparently episode 13 will work better as episode 1 of season 2 which we were told will be "at least" 14 episodes though all signs point to just 14 episodes at this point.

Discovery, thanks to a 2 month break, is only at episode 12 of 15 for the season, but this latest episode was barely over 30 minutes once you cut out the "previously on" and the credits and the network logos. That's really half a show for something that's generally an hour long.

That said... Discovery Spoilers Ahead...

A lot of "reveals" these last 2 episodes. I say reveals because they gave so many clues along the way I'm shocked if anyone is too surprised.

Captain Lorca was actually the mirror universe of himself all along. The only logical sense is for the real Lorca to be dead but who knows.

Mirror Lorca (AKA just Lorca) and Mirror Burnham had a thing in the Mirror universe so that does sort of explain why he got her for apparently no reason and why his plan was always to bring her to the mirror universe. I didn't see the relationship part. Also mirror Burnham is the adopted daughter of her old captain which "surprise" is the emperor of Earth. (Of course they used to call female Emperors Empresses in the MU but I guess women's lib was alive and well there too over the last 75 years. From Enterprise's Empress Hoshi until the events of Discovery Episode 12.)

While the last two episodes were the best two of the season (well best one and a half of the season) it all comes with even more destruction to Trek canon. Now light is somehow different in the mirror universe? And MU humans are biologically different than Prime universe humans into their tolerance of light. That I guess there's no bright sunny days on MU Earth? Funny in TOS Mirror Mirror the ISS Enterprise was lit up just as much as the USS Enterprise, nothing was dark, no talk of biological differences. Neither in the DS9 crossover episodes.

And don't get me started on the spore universe "afterlife" where gay souls go when they die apparently. I say gay souls not to be anti-homosexual but there have been lots of dead people but the only ones there are gay... what are we supposed to think?

In short :tiphat2: but :fp: at same time.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Must say it continues... The Orville blows STD away!

STD Season 2:

The Orville Season 2:

Winner: The Orville

Last edited:
It's true, I'm looking forward to season 2 of Orville and I haven't bothered to finish watching season 1 of ST:D. FWIW, it seems like Orville is getting a bit more serious without completely dropping the humor where ST:D looks like it may be going more humor.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I didn't think The Orville would get renewed, but I'm glad it did. I like it.
By all accounts ratings are good and tremendous fan support- while not always enough to keep a show going it got them to season 2. (They are short seasons, 12 episodes season one, 13 or 14 for Season 2, even combined only equal a single season of Trek shows of old.) If Fox did cancel after season 2 I imagine Amazon would pick it up.

It's true, I'm looking forward to season 2 of Orville and I haven't bothered to finish watching season 1 of ST:D. FWIW, it seems like Orville is getting a bit more serious without completely dropping the humor where ST:D looks like it may be going more humor.
I agree on Orville dropping some of the humor, I think the last few episodes they struck a good balance. I think Seth Macfarlane always intended to do a more serious show (since he approached CBS and wanted to do a Star Trek but they turned him down) but he kind of had to put in those early jokes because it was what people were expecting.

That final scene of STD S2 trailer in the "turbolift" that looks like an elevator is a clear ripoff attempt at making it look more like the Orville. Tells me STD is in big trouble.

Facts:
1) Netflix paid for the entirety of season 1 just to get the rights. Netflix refused to pay anything (maybe miniscule?) for season 2. This is all CBS funding this time.

2) They had to bring in the Enterprise, Pike, and Spock as an emergency measure to get ratings. This is a last ditch effort to save the show. If season 2 doesn't get CBS All Access more permanent paying customers it's dead.

3) Lots of turnover in the background

4) The clear attempt to highlight Orville levels of Humor in the trailer tells me the show is trying to follow The Orville instead of lead.

neevo

Limey Hippo
As long as we end up with 2 decent space-based sci-fi shows I dont really care which adds and which removes humour :beerchug:

FritzLet

15 episodes? Don't get me wrong, I like that idea. But I also don't want them to run out of ideas and drop the quality.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Welcome Fritz... Since TV shows were traditionally 22+ episodes, especially on network TV, 15 doesn't seem like a lot to me.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
For those still watching... WOW... This latest episode... Identity (Part 1) blew me away... I'm so happy they didn't make this a season finale because I don't think I'd be able to wait that long... At least we only have to wait until Thursday.

I only worry that when you have a build up so big like this, easily the equivalent of TNG's Best of Both Worlds, it's almost impossible to live up to the first part.

Not going to spoil it here but if you are few episodes behind, you need to catch up now!

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Last week? The 2nd part of the episode was the first episode you ever saw? How disappointing.