• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

I'm going to punch a ~15"x23" hole in my wall

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
What a giant pain in the ass.

Nothing like trying to line up 32 holes all at once :owned:

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
How long until you come home to a house full of skunks and raccoons that decide to follow your dog back into the nice air conditioned house? :clapping:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
How long until you come home to a house full of skunks and raccoons that decide to follow your dog back into the nice air conditioned house? :clapping:
I've had a dog door now for almost 14 years.

I've had two critters: a mouse

and the neighbors little yapper dog :jump: Much hilarity ensued with that one, since Spencer thought that little shit sounded just like his squeak toy!

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
I've had a dog door now for almost 14 years.

I've had two critters: a mouse

and the neighbors little yapper dog :jump: Much hilarity ensued with that one, since Spencer thought that little shit sounded just like his squeak toy!
A friend had 2 coons come in his. Their dog had died a couple of months before, so I guess the scent wore off and didn't keep them away. F'ers tore the crap outta the place trying to find their way out.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
My aunt in VT had a bunch of critters stroll in her house. She had a regular cat door initially. One evening a skunk crept in and went straight for the cat crunchies. She said she heard a racket, woke up, went out to see what her cat was into and upon turning on a light, the skunk was shoulder deep into cat food. Amazingly enough, it didn't spray. It just mowed down and walked out. My aunt had a new door installed the next day, one that had a sensor that would only open if the chip in her cat's collar passed into the opening. Prior to the skunk, squirrels were the worst and actually tore the place up.

John

Transplant
VIP
They make ones that only open if it gets a signal from a special dog collar. On paper, it seems like it would work to keep out critters, but they are expensive.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If I didn't have a giant cinder block prison wall and/or more critters in the area I would consider one of those for sure.

gcb

VIP
If I didn't have a giant cinder block prison wall and/or more critters in the area I would consider one of those for sure.
Meh.

We have a doggie door and the only things in/out are the 2 dogs, 1 cat, and our kid whenever she's being a jerk.

I've caught 5 possum, 2 skunks, 3 cats, and 1 raccoon near the house over the past 2 months and not one has come in through the door yet. I think as long as you have a pet in/out on a regular basis it would be rare to have a wild animal walk in.