• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Garbage Disposal crapped out

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Minimum 1/3hp. Going slowly with minimal plumbing experience, 1-hr. Then when you button it up and look at the piece that fits the sink drain that has the brand name embossed and notice it's cocked at an angle, 15 minute job. Luhl

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Died again :owned:

Really bound up. I can't budge it using an allen wrench.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The new one died or the original?

My new house doesn't have one. :wifey: wants one. Is it a difficult job to add one?
The original...I took the new one back after the OG worked that next day.

So it's now 16 years old :clapping:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Died again :owned:

Really bound up. I can't budge it using an allen wrench.
What the **** are you putting in these things? You know you aren't supposed to put a brontosaurus leg down it, right?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I never had one. I've always been on a septic system.
You can use them on septic systems if you aren't a dumbass. You don't dump pots full of food down them or anything. Scrape your plate into the garbage then rinse the little lingering bits into the disposal. It doesn't amount to all that much stuff. A healthy septic system can eat little food bits just as easily as it can poop and such.

Reactions: SAD

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Shit...disregard my previous post :jump:
:clapping:

Funny thing is the rubber piece I pulled out of the gears...no damn clue what it's from. ZERO idea. Looks slightly smaller than the end of a garden hose, with no threads. Weird.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
:clapping:

Funny thing is the rubber piece I pulled out of the gears...no damn clue what it's from. ZERO idea. Looks slightly smaller than the end of a garden hose, with no threads. Weird.
Does your dishwasher have a hose running over to the disposer?

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Every place I've lived with a septic system had a garbage disposal. Zero issues.

The one that came with the current house is a friggin monster. Flatware = fukt if it falls in and you flip the switch.

Ardvark

Spent an hour yesterday digging cherry seeds and stems out. My wife doesnt understand how to use the disposal.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
The one I installed here is a Tim Allen style disposal and wood chipper. :jump:

Last edited:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Replaced

With the old one out, I finally found the culprit. Goddamn spoon half down the gears.

Oh well...17 years is a good run on a disposal, now I have more power!

3/4HP bitches!! :fmp:

pejeeper

Ninjas need not apply
VIP
You can use them on septic systems if you aren't a dumbass. You don't dump pots full of food down them or anything. Scrape your plate into the garbage then rinse the little lingering bits into the disposal. It doesn't amount to all that much stuff. A healthy septic system can eat little food bits just as easily as it can poop and such.
Good to know, but I've managed for 40 years wothout one, so I'll just keep on keepin on that way.