• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Oven Kicked the Bucket

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
I was preheating the oven to make some meatballs. All of a sudden, a long beep, and the display said FIE-something and I shut it off. Turned it back on and the display says door now and none of the buttons work. The burners still work, not well, but decent. Whirlpool Super Capacity 465. I don't think the thermostat was ever reliable on it. This was probably a used rebuilt POS that the previous owner just put in to meet the laws, because my first DIY job was changing out the power outlet so I could make Christmas dinner with it.

What's a good electric range that JUOT approves of? Looking at around $500, no flat cooktop, gas would be nice, but no line in the kitchen. Is convection really worth it? Something in black, of course. Maybe something like this:

Sears.com

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Checkout Sears outlet for last years models on ~40% off list. I've had some good deals through them several times.

Reactions: Meh

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
Run gas to kitchen.
I'd love to, but no money. Luckily, the carpet tiles we bought were too cheap to use so we returned them and we are using that money for a new stove. I can cook on pretty much anything - I cooked for a small Cajun restaurant that basically used what if I remember right is called a "rocket stove" to heat everything, even the oven. Fine contraption. Fawking hot in the summertime. Don't let the kids near it. :nono:

Ardvark

that's a fine enough oven.

we went with the convection option - do not notice a difference.

the one thing I really like are the difference size burners and having a really big one boiling water is nice.

we never use fifth burner/griddle thing

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Convection makes a significant difference baking. At least ours does. :wifey: makes a big deal about it. She uses it selectively.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
If you're going to spend more than the bare minimum I'd look into getting a gas range. I'll never cook on electric again. How expensive would getting a gas line to the kitchen be? In my mind it'd be worth spending the money on the gas line and then using a $50 Craigslist gas range until I had the cash for a new one.

Electric ranges are pretty simple devices. The only part of it that wouldn't be economical to replace is the computer control board. About $250 if you can't do PCB repairs.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Running a gas line, if you have gas in the house already, should be a reasonably simple DIY task. Soooo worth it to have a real gas cooktop.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
Simple task but may not be legal. Technically I was supposed to hire a gasfitter when I got a new (used, rebuilt of course) gas dryer.

Oops :shush:

Reactions: Meh

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
They bust people for that here. I don't know anybody certified and don't have money to pull permits. Would be nice - I love cooking with gas. No more simple meals that take longer to cook than to eat...