• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What color is this dress?

What colors are this dress?

• White & Gold

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Black & Blue

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I'm Blind

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If you are active on social media you may have already seen this- this got so big yesterday so fast it even made the real news.

Apparently this single picture is an extreme example of how some of us are wired differently.

First- what two colors would you say this dress was?

Likely you either see the dress a white & gold or black & blue - and even more likely you are scratching your head at how anyone sees it as the other color!

Before you read any further - vote in the poll.

Great article on Wired - The Science of Why No One Agrees on the Color of This Dress | WIRED

Some theories so far (I'm hearing on local news) is that those who see black and blue might be night owls where as white and gold are assuming the dress is in intense sun light. Another theory is black and blue people are under stress were as white and gold people are not.

But here is the thing- the dress is, supposedly... black and blue. I personally don't see it.

The above hidden image has the original image in the center. On the left it is white balanced to make the so called white of the dress to be white. On the right it is white balanced to make the black of the dress black.

If you know what white balancing does you should soon realize the right makes more sense (look at the red and green on the right edge.

Of course being the internet even when confronted with this type of proof plenty of people refuse to yield. I personally would like to see this dress in a better picture- considering the media attention on this now I'm sure more pics will be forth coming.

Will you believe it then?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's not a legitimate test if the photo is digitally altered.
The question is what colors do you see in the original image, don't worry about digital manipulation- all digital images are manipulated by virtue of being translated from raw format to jpg/png/or whatever format they end up in.

What colors do you see in that first picture?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's so weird. I was firmly in the white and gold camp.

Then I was playing with it in Paint Shop Pro but kept undoing changes so I was left with the original- then I zoomed out, had to turn my head to cough, do some things, and when I turned back all of a sudden the dress turned blue and black!

So much so I had to make sure I was indeed viewing an un-altered image.

Maybe the fact I had looked away (into the dark as it tuns out) and now it's on a dark background changed the way I perceive it- but now even the large image looks blue and black. Not the deep royal blue mind you but definitely blue and black enough that is how I would describe it.

My mind is blown.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
It depends on the intensity of light your eyes are exposed to before looking at the image. If your eyes are adjusted to bright light it appears white and gold. If adjusted to darkness it appears black and blue. This is nothing new. It's like staring at a negative of a photo then looking at a bright white object.

Or if you see white and gold, look at the original photo, then look at the true color and look back. It will appear black and blue afterwards.

The human eye is very weird.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Mom just woke up- showed her the first image, she was sure it was black and gold.

Showed her the spoiler-hidden image and now she sees it (the original) as white and gold.

Ardvark

All last night I saw blue and black
now I see white and gold
and maybe this should be in ot not buried in puzzles

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
The first time I looked it was white and gold. After seeing the original pic it has stayed black and blue.

And if you view all topic its not buried. :mrwave:

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
doesn't matter what color the dress really is. It's a shitty cell pic with harsh backlighting altered to make the dress even viewable. And everyone is talking about this? We are truly doomed.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
doesn't matter what color the dress really is. It's a shitty cell pic with harsh backlighting altered to make the dress even viewable. And everyone is talking about this? We are truly doomed.
What is interesting is the fact two people can perceive the exact same image so differently. You should ponder the ramifications.