• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Mac geeks

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Depending on how the new 15" MBP looks at WWDC, I'm probably going to take this opportunity to upgrade. I may wait it out a tad to see if any issues arise with what I assume is going to be a redesign, but I'd like to upgrade to take advantage of Skylake and to have more SSD space.

With that said, I have zero idea what the resale market looks like these days. Can either of you (thinking Toney and kthrash) give me an idea what I could hock mine for?

Specs are:
Mid 2012 15" MBP Retina
2.6ghz (Ivy Bridge, IIRC)
16GB RAM
GeForce GT 650M
512GB SSD

Battery was replaced last year and has 44 loadcycles according to CoconutBattery. The logic board was also replaced under the extended warranty.

I think I paid close to $3k for it. I'm assuming it's worth closer to $1200 now.

If the new MBP is thinner with less battery power, lacks discrete GPU, doesn't come in quad core, or only has USB-C ports, I'll probably just hang on to this one.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I won't be super fond of USB-C until it's more common. Finding cables and such for my Nexus means Amazon only. :(

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I doubt Apple will go all in on USB-C. I hope they don't because I'm not going to be keeping adapters with me. Zero desire.

I'd like to see the next model have a thin bezel 4k screen like the Dell Infinity Edge screens. Wouldn't mind the space grey color option and would expect discrete graphics, quad core, 32gb ram and 1tb SSD options.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Something like that would be nice.

I'm not fond of the adapters but it's been cheaper to keep a few around than buying everything new all at once.

I'd be more concerned about the processors if you want quad core. The last couple i7's I've had were dual core. Note that I have no idea how the 6th generation compare to the 2nd or 3rd in benchmark tests.

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
My valuations put that MBP at between $800-$900, being a 15" with 16GB of Ram and 512GB SSD, makes it a specialized book that you are gonna have to find someone that particularly wants all that size. I can buy them wholesale for $700 or so..