• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

World's Rustiest CJ7 Part 5: The Finale

gcb

VIP
Part 1:https://www.juot.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20386&highlight=world's+rustiest
Part 2:https://www.juot.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22595&highlight=world's+rustiest
Part 3:https://www.juot.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25020&highlight=world's+rustiest
Part 4:https://www.juot.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27388&highlight=world's+rustiest

Back in March I got this turd finished and was going to take it wheeling in Alabama somewhere.

Unfortunately, I tried to be a badass at a stop sign in my neighborhood and attempted to do a burnout. My rearend decided to crack in half and twist a tube (HD AMC20), so I tore it all apart and rebuilt it again. I put a shaved 14 bolt in the rear and a different D44 up front. I had it sprung over before, and it was pretty tall, so I decided to see if I could build it with a lower COG. Now it's SUA w/ a shackle reversal and it's damn low. It might actually be too low; I'll end up raising it about 2" or 3" depending on if I can figure out a way to build a front driveshaft for it.

To Do:
Front Driveshaft
Rear Traction Bar
Break it Again

John

Transplant
VIP
Lolz at your burnout story. It is a little bit too low, but I like the idea of a lower center of gravity.

gcb

VIP
more fender trimming.
Yup. I've still got about 2" I can trim in the rear. I have a different set of hubs to put on the rear first, then I'll cut to fit. It's got about 3" of uptravel front and rear, w/ a shit-ton of droop.

Nice! Those LED headlights?!?!?!
Yup. A lot "whiter" than any other light I've tried. I haven't used them a ton at night, but the few times I have I've like them.

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
LOL, that is not rustiest at all. I had one with a snow plow that was FAR worse. :D

Yup. A lot "whiter" than any other light I've tried. I haven't used them a ton at night, but the few times I have I've like them.
I thought about them, but from what I read on innerwebz they are about the same brightness as standard Halogen bulbs. I'll stick with HID's for now.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
Nice :pirate:

I don't know how I missed parts 1-4.

You're just down the road from me if you ever need a hand.

gcb

VIP
LOL, that is not rustiest at all. I had one with a snow plow that was FAR worse. :D

I thought about them, but from what I read on innerwebz they are about the same brightness as standard Halogen bulbs. I'll stick with HID's for now.
It was far beyond repair. The only thing holding the tub and front fenders together was 1/4" of Bondo and some aluminum "backer" material. The frame was falling apart, too. Luckily the extra weight of the Bondo made it worth more at the scrapyard. When I was cutting up the tub to put in the back of my truck, the grinder only had dust flying... no sparks. It was nearly all bondo.

I'll get some pictures of the LED lights in action one of these days. I think they're brighter.. not 100% positive. They are definitely whiter, though. It's "clean" light, if that makes sense. The price was right, so I bolted them on. I still have about 3 more sets of aftermarket lights lying around that I may put on this thing or my truck.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Much better lower. Just make sure you do the bumpstops and I'd consider doing steel plate boatsides. I think genright offroad makes some nice bolt on boatside rockers now. Why did you go with a 8 lug 44 instead of picking up a 60? Those balljoints will be crying for mercy at Morris Mountian.:party:

gcb

VIP
Much better lower. Just make sure you do the bumpstops and I'd consider doing steel plate boatsides. I think genright offroad makes some nice bolt on boatside rockers now. Why did you go with a 8 lug 44 instead of picking up a 60? Those balljoints will be crying for mercy at Morris Mountian.:party:
I'm going to put some 4" angle steel rockrails on it for the time being. It's cheap, and I just want to be able to drive the damn thing without having to cut into it again. I still need to install some rear bumpstops.

I have a total of maybe $400 in the front D44 w/ 4.56, a lockrite, and spare shafts. It's got a lot of new stuff on it, too. I would end up spending an additional $1K if I went w/ a D60.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
just FYI, a set of cucv axles with the 60/14 4.56 and rear detroit is usually for sale on CAOS for about $1,200 :mrwave: