• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What book are you reading?

Rugster

Old And In The Way
VIP
Last month I read all the Aubrey–Maturin series, 20 books and it's companion book A Sea of Words... Great books, I highly recommend them.

Now I am reading

Very interesting...

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium

It's exactly as interesting as you expect it to be.

Ulf Fwatling

Books I keep on tap?
- Anything by Preston Child (Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, especially the "Pendergast" novels)
- The "Jack Reacher" series by Lee Child
- Most of Robert A. Heinlein
- Most of Isaac Asimov
- The 2001 saga by Arthur C. Clarke (2001, 2010, 2061, 3001)
- The Hitch-Hiker's series by Douglas Adams (a trilogy of six books, including the last by Eoin Colfer)
- John Dies at the End, by David Wong (pseudonym)
- Most of H. P. Lovecraft.
- The Dune saga, by Herbert

I cycle through these more or less at random. Throw in Battlefield Earth by Hubbard - not because it's any damned good (some bits are, but the novel as a whole isn't,) but because it makes good bathroom reading (I can pick it up, open it anywhere, and pass some time.)

That's the stock stuff - apart from that, I'm a voracious reader of fiction & non-fiction, Julie and I are both bibliophiles (we have library cards for most of the county, and could probably issue our own anymore,) and about the only thing I won't read are pulp romances (they're as boring & predictable as horror movies, and bodice-rippers just don't do anything for me.)

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Books I keep on tap?
- Anything by Preston Child (Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, especially the "Pendergast" novels)
- Most of Isaac Asimov
- The Hitch-Hiker's series by Douglas Adams (a trilogy of six books, including the last by Eoin Colfer)

I cycle through these more or less at random. Throw in Battlefield Earth by Hubbard - not because it's any damned good (some bits are, but the novel as a whole isn't,) but because it makes good bathroom reading (I can pick it up, open it anywhere, and pass some time.)

That's the stock stuff - apart from that, I'm a voracious reader of fiction & non-fiction, Julie and I are both bibliophiles (we have library cards for most of the county, and could probably issue our own anymore,) and about the only thing I won't read are pulp romances (they're as boring & predictable as horror movies, and bodice-rippers just don't do anything for me.)
Speaking of -- the "john and dave at the whateva," assuming I found the full and legit version (only about 75 pages PDF) is enough different that you should pick up This Book is Full of Spiders. It isn't JDatE, but it's pretty damn good. Certainly a must read for a Wong and John fan. JC's articles on the old site (PWOT) were outstanding. I miss them. I know some are hosted on cracked, but not everything I remember (or at least I haven't been able to find them.) Wong's working on a third book already, too -- cool shit.

Side note -- recommend a book or two (or twelve) for someone whose favorite books of all time are JDatE and the hitchhiker series.

Ulf Fwatling

Speaking of -- the "john and dave at the whateva," assuming I found the full and legit version (only about 75 pages PDF) is enough different that you should pick up This Book is Full of Spiders. It isn't JDatE, but it's pretty damn good. Certainly a must read for a Wong and John fan. JC's articles on the old site (PWOT) were outstanding. I miss them. I know some are hosted on cracked, but not everything I remember (or at least I haven't been able to find them.) Wong's working on a third book already, too -- cool shit.

Side note -- recommend a book or two (or twelve) for someone whose favorite books of all time are JDatE and the hitchhiker series.
Really depends on what you're ultimately into - refer to list previously posted.

So, This Book is Full of Spiders is essentially "John & Dave and the Temple of (whatever)"? I'll have to look for a copy - as I said, I have the original (of both,) but it's fun to see what changes from one form to another.

A third John & Dave book? Should be interesting - I hope he doesn't sell out, and sticks to the original insanity! JDatE is probably the strangest thing I've read in 30 years, and that's really going some...

I can probably give you more specific recommendations if you give me more information about your interests - I'm too eclectic for you to get meaningful answers asking open-ended questions (I can jump from fiction to thermodynamics at the drop of a hat, y'know!)

Ulf Fwatling

All the Mitch Rapp books.

by Vince Flynn
Tell me more! I enjoy "series" and "universe" books.

There are a couple of "series" books by Nelson DeMille that are good - I recommend the John Corey and Paul Brenner books by him. John Cory is x-NYPD picked up by the FBI Anti-Terror Task Force, and Brenner is a retired MP ("The General's Daughter" was made from his novel, and there may have been others. I don't recall.)

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
On the seventh volume in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series by Steven Erikson. Guy at work got me started on it then loaned me the entire series. Good read so far.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Books I keep on tap?
- Most of Isaac Asimov

I've been buying audio books lately since i spend so much time on the road or just sitting in my truck on location. Just finished starship troopers about a week ago. I never expected it to be what it was. The movie was so campy I didn't expect much. I was completely wrong. It's amazing how he predicted/influenced military technology. Looking forward to more but don't know where to start.

I finished the time machine a few days ago. Before starship troopers was 20000 leagues under the sea. Kicking around getting atlas shrugged.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
Tell me more! I enjoy "series" and "universe" books.

There are a couple of "series" books by Nelson DeMille that are good - I recommend the John Corey and Paul Brenner books by him. John Cory is x-NYPD picked up by the FBI Anti-Terror Task Force, and Brenner is a retired MP ("The General's Daughter" was made from his novel, and there may have been others. I don't recall.)
Try The Cleaner series by Brett Battles :mrtiphat:

About halfway through The Book Thief right now on a recommendation from a friend. very interesting take with the story being told by death as a character.