• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What book are you reading?

Ulf Fwatling

I've been buying audio books lately since i spend so much time on the road or just sitting in my truck on location. Just finished starship troopers about a week ago. I never expected it to be what it was. The movie was so campy I didn't expect much. I was completely wrong. It's amazing how he predicted/influenced military technology. Looking forward to more but don't know where to start.

I finished the time machine a few days ago. Before starship troopers was 20000 leagues under the sea. Kicking around getting atlas shrugged.
I can't bring myself to forgive Verhoeven for what he did to Starship Troopers, in putting it on the screen.

I am inclined to think that his CGI version - "Roughnecks: The Starship Trooper Chronicles" may be an attempt at apologia: it's an expansion on the story, still with some changes, but closer (philosophically) to the novel. That's why I can't quite forgive him - instead of just condemning him outright.

The sole redeeming point of Verhoven's movie was Dina Meyer topless, I think.

Ulf Fwatling

It should be added that the Dune books written by Herbert Junior are not worth reading. Dune can be finished with Chapterhouse.
Dunno - they may not be as solid as the original six, but I enjoy the development of the universe backstory with the prequels. Not so sanguine about the sequelae, tho.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
Just finished Bulls and Bullfighting, published 1964 in Spain:

...and a good Coltrane bio:

I am reading this book which describes the historical and cultural bases for their endless warring and also helps understand the jihad movements as more about lower class revolutions than religion:

Ulf Fwatling

A Deniable Death, By Gerald Seymour

Review: A Deniable Death, By Gerald Seymour - Reviews - Books - The Independent

He wrote Harry's Game which was msde into a TV series in the 70's or 80's and is still a damn good read

A fantastic thriller writer whose heroes do not always survive which may not suit those that like a happy ending
Being a hero carries an inherent risk of death - heroes don't always survive.

This is why I think that, if we're going to make "heroes" out of pro sports players, we should introduce danger to the game. Play most of these games in minefields. Get rid of pads/armour. That sort of thing. (At least make them earn those ridiculous salaries they get, and explosions may actually make the games somewhat interesting...)

neevo

Limey Hippo
Being a hero carries an inherent risk of death - heroes don't always survive.

This is why I think that, if we're going to make "heroes" out of pro sports players, we should introduce danger to the game. Play most of these games in minefields. Get rid of pads/armour. That sort of thing. (At least make them earn those ridiculous salaries they get, and explosions may actually make the games somewhat interesting...)
It's called Rugby when you do that :beerchug:

Rollerball :thup2: (the stuntmen that did that movie continued to play the game after filming was over, they had that much un playing it!)

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I've been buying audio books lately since i spend so much time on the road or just sitting in my truck on location. Just finished starship troopers about a week ago. I never expected it to be what it was. The movie was so campy I didn't expect much. I was completely wrong. It's amazing how he predicted/influenced military technology. Looking forward to more but don't know where to start.

I finished the time machine a few days ago. Before starship troopers was 20000 leagues under the sea. Kicking around getting atlas shrugged.
I wish I'd gotten into audio books when I drove all the time. I do have a number of them loaded on my phone and ipod to take with me when I walk. Didn't have to pay for them as they are "work related" personal development stuff and my company provides them.

My physical reading is some book on WSH & VBScript. Meh.

TacticalFats

Odometer of The Beast
VIP
Fiction annoys the shit out of me; in the past few months it's been WW2, Afghan and Iraq war books, with a civil war era book tossed in last week (Killing Lincoln).

I find that if I read them on my Xoom, I blow through ~350 page books in a day or two. I started An Army at Dawn, first of a trilogy on WW2; this one is over 700 pages.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
I wish I'd gotten into audio books when I drove all the time. I do have a number of them loaded on my phone and ipod to take with me when I walk. Didn't have to pay for them as they are "work related" personal development stuff and my company provides them.

My physical reading is some book on WSH & VBScript. Meh.
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.

Canadian_gal

I am currently reading London by Edward Rutherford! This author is amazing! He chooses a handful of characters at one location (this one is in London, but I have read others called Sarum, and Russka), and they all somehow connect with each other at some point. The one I am currently reading starts in Roman times in London, and you follow these characters and their descendants through time until the 20th century. During each period, there is some true historical event(s) that happens that affects their lives. AMAZING book (his other books are written in the same way). Definitely learning a lot about London! Highly recommend any of his books!

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
It's easy to get hooked. I really prefer physical books but I hate modern music and am getting a little burnt out on news and talk radio right now so it's easy to listen to a book. I try to find cheap books. A lot of the older stuff is $.95-9.95.
I avoid modern music to the point that I really only know current "artist's" names when they get arrested.

Lately I've been listening to sea chanties a lot. With stuff like this mixed in...

Physical books are better, but both electronic and audio books have their places.