• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
A year later and somewhat closer to doing the kitchen remodel. Hoping to get started late February, depending on when I get paid for some side work from 2014Q4.

Original thread: Kitchen Remodel Thread - JUOT - Joes Ultimate Off Topic

Current kitchen:

Here is what the tile looks like in front of the refrigerator:

Here is the underlayment under a loose tile near the threshold going into the hall.

And a sketch of the layout that I'm using to determine material needs.

Starting over on my cost estimates. I was way off on estimating what cabinets cost. Going to spend the next month and a half price shopping some things, but this is my basic plan:

* Gut the entire kitchen, removing floor down to subfloor, cabinets, counters, appliances (other than fridge which we replaced in 2013), and island.
* Hire hourly labor to help with (do most of) demo & rebuild
* Flooring - tile
* Cabinets - TBD (may hit up a member that offered to help with ordering)
* Counters - Some sort of low maintenance stone or higher end composite
* Appliances - Stainless look. Lowes 0% 6-18months / 10% off. No in-sink disposal. No gas, unless I can find the gas line under the subfloor relatively easily.
* Under cabinet lighting - TBD

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
First pass at appliances. Not in love with anything in particular, just a starting point. Fridge is Whirlpool, so leaning Whirlpool for the rest, but not a hard requirement.

Dishwasher - $400 http://www.lowes.com/pd_625601-46-W...1|46|Stainless look|Stainless steel|Whirlpool

Cooktop - $850 Shop Whirlpool Gold 5-Element Smooth Surface Electric Cooktop (Stainless Steel) (Common 36-in; Actual 36.312-in) at Lowes.com

Wall oven - $1850 http://www.lowes.com/pd_396334-46-W...|0&page=1&facetInfo=Stainless steel|Whirlpool

Microwave - $400 http://www.lowes.com/pd_591027-46-W...ook|Stainless steel|Steel-Stainless|Whirlpool

Currently we have a oven/microwave combo. Not 100% sure if we want an over the range microwave, but I know we don't want to do an oven/microwave combo. Other options would be "built in" or countertop. Not sure OTR works well with cooktops, but I think it would.

Sink - $540 http://www.lowes.com/pd_502665-4176...0&page=1&facetInfo=10|1|Apron front/Farmhouse

That's $3500 for appliances and another $540 for a sink. I like the farmhouse/apron style sink. Might go with a cheaper standard style, but I'm not going "high end" or "Wazny level" for the kitchen and spending a little extra on the sink might help it seem higher end than it is.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
You should do LP or NG for the cooktop, depending on what you have available. You'll thank me later. :beerchug:

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
is there something wrong with the cabinetry? you could just tear off the doors/replace and resurface everything, save you 60% over totally new cabinets..

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You should do LP or NG for the cooktop, depending on what you have available. You'll thank me later. :beerchug:
Only if I can find a gas line under the subfloor without ripping too much up.... and maybe not even then. Goal is resale, not for us long term. For me.... gas all the way. For resale: budget is king.

Why no disposal?
Septic for one. Slow draining currently and likes to clog. Plumbing may not be up to par for disposal use. I can live without it.

is there something wrong with the cabinetry? you could just tear off the doors/replace and resurface everything, save you 60% over totally new cabinets..
Cabinets are on top of the floor that has to be ripped out. Oven cabinet restricts to 27" which is too small to fit most pans in. Not great quality as is.... poorly installed too. Expect to destroy them when removing to do floor.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Go with a septic safe disposal that adds an enzyme with it - if I were looking at spending 400k on a house I'd want a disposal.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Go with a septic safe disposal that adds an enzyme with it - if I were looking at spending 400k on a house I'd want a disposal.
How would you feel if the home inspector told you that the plumbing wasn't sized properly to support a disposal and that though you have one, you really can't use it properly?

I think (could be wrong) the issue is that there is a longish (>20') run on that drain pipe over to the drain stack. Even at 1/4" per foot, that's a long way to move bulk from a disposal horizontally. I'm not going to destroy half of the finished basement to address that.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
How would you feel if the home inspector told you that the plumbing wasn't sized properly to support a disposal and that though you have one, you really can't use it properly?

I think (could be wrong) the issue is that there is a longish (>20') run on that drain pipe over to the drain stack. Even at 1/4" per foot, that's a long way to move bulk from a disposal horizontally. I'm not going to destroy half of the finished basement to address that.
I've never had a home inspector shove food into a disposal to test the piping diameter. :clapping:

The run and drop depend on the diameter of the pipe, I'm no plumber though, so I don't know anything other than that.

Most likely the buyer won't notice it missing until they are doing dishes their first night and start wondering what else is missing in their home. :party:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
True.... and it's a minor cost. Undecided on that though. I know there is something stuck in the drain that could be part of the problem. Looks like a drill bit or something. Will know better after demo what I'm dealing with.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Cabinets & Counters

Lowes quoted me something like $11k for cabinets last year. Had a bit of sticker shock which was the primary reason I pushed this project out a bit. Having never done cabinets before, I was absolutely shocked with the prices. Had no idea that they are the largest cost of a kitchen remodel.

Going to have Lowes re-quote and see if that's still the same ballpark. Also going to have a local company that does counters & cabinets quote for both.

In terms of "doing it myself", I'm going to consider Lowes, Kitchencabinetdepot.com, Ikea, and the JU member that offered to let me order through his company.

I'm leaning towards installing them myself with the assistance of hourly labor.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I think I can get counters for about $3k, installed.

Appliances & Sink: ~$4k
Floor: ~$1k
Counters: ~$3.5k
Cabinets: ????

Right now, my budget is $16k to finish without using the HELOC or paying interest on a CC. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the cost of cabinets. I think this is a $20k project, minimum, and I'll probably have to dip into the HELOC a tad.

Put a stinking garbage disposal in. You dont have to use it, but they are cheap. And if I could restart my kitchen remodel, I absolutely would have gotten IKEA cabinet boxes and hardware, and possibly just gone with custom drawer/door fronts.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
A couple things I'd like to do with the cabinets/counters/island:

Would like to build in a wine rack somewhere. Not sure if I want to do it with the wall cabinets with hanging glass holder, under the counter/behind a door, beside/over the refrigerator, or as part of the island. Might even consider a wine cooler under the island with the wine rack.

Thinking about re-situating the island to give more room by the sink/stove. Will probably make it two levels with a "bar" and a counter top.

I don't really like how the refrigerator is in a hole in the wall. Might knock down the wall that adjoins the counters and gain some storage space above the refrigerator in the form of cabinets. Probably not though.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Dont forget the pot filler. Your faucet looks to be about 66" away from the edge of the stove.
I hadn't even considered that, but I could easily do that after the demo. Would be one of those inexpensive add-ons that makes it seem higher end than it really is. Good idea! :pirate:

I hadn't even considered that, but I could easily do that after the demo. Would be one of those inexpensive add-ons that makes it seem higher end than it really is. Good idea! :pirate:
I was mainly joking for Matthew's sake. I do not see a need, but would agree that in a $400k home, it could be a bonus when you are selling the house.

Did you ever post finished pics of your master bathroom?

Can you take a picture from farther away, maybe out in the den/living area so that we can see the kitchen as a whole?