• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Kitchen Remodel Thread v2

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
There was a reason... I can't remember what that reason was.

There was a reason... I can't remember what that reason was.
I did mine like yours because I wanted crown moulding around the ceiling, and did not want the cabinets to go all the way to the ceiling. I also wanted to put lights on top of the cabinets. We have white, led christmas lights on top of the cabinets and i like them turned on at night. They do gather dust like a mofo, though.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I personally like the look of the gap above it. No plans to add lights up there. Ceiling is really high and more space wouldn't really translate into more usable space. I can barely put something like a cookie sheet on top of it myself, and I'm right at 6' tall.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
I personally like the look of the gap above it. No plans to add lights up there. Ceiling is really high and more space wouldn't really translate into more usable space. I can barely put something like a cookie sheet on top of it myself, and I'm right at 6' tall.
mine is setup the same way and I have to use a stool :(

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
My kitchen has full height wall cabs and crown tight (minimal gap) to the ceiling to finish it off. Otherwise you have to shim with a scribe material to avoid gaps. More cabinet space was all. No over cab lights though.

The ceilings in my kitchen are only 8'. In a 9'+ application, I'd opt to stair step / stagger the cabinet heights to break up the line and have crown dive back into the wall. Just to break it up. :shrug:

Yours will look nice with the crown finish too. :agree:

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Plan for the rest of the week; do nothing.

Saturday: finish tile, do some electrical
Sunday: grout remaining tile, install microwave and oven

Going to do electrical outlets and junction boxes for microwave, oven, washer, cooktop and disposal. Also need outlets on the island. Would prefer to avoid hardworking the appliances if possible. Personal preference.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Any suggestions for under cabinet lighting? I have a switched 120v circuit under each.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Cooper Metalux fluorescents on the cheap.
I think that may be what I ripped out. Was thinking it would be nice to get something LED based, but not sure if that would be cost prohibitive.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I think that may be what I ripped out. Was thinking it would be nice to get something LED based, but not sure if that would be cost prohibitive.
Do you want track mounted rope style lighting just for effects or something that will light it up well? The latter will cost more.

I chose brighter can lighting instead of dealing with UC lighting. Now I want to replace all of my cans with Halo SLD606830WHJB fixtures. They're only $30ea my cost plus a retro hanger for each can. They can be mounted in standard ceiling j-boxes or light cups too.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Need to light up well. Not looking for effect.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Need to light up well. Not looking for effect.
Honestly, I'd still recommend Cooper Metalux. You could get LED bulbs if you really wanted to. You'll never see the fixture and they throw out great working light. High dollar UC LED fixtures are always the first to go on a project. They offer little value unless they're seen. They are always replaced with the Metalux fixture. UC light is UC light. It beats no UC light if you're already prepped for it.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
FAWK THIS HOUSE!!!!!

The circuit for the wall oven isn't rated properly and can't support the new oven. Requires a 4 wire 40 amp circuit and it only has a 3 wire 30 amp circuit in place. That's going to add at least an extra day to the efforts as I'll have to rip open the ceiling in the basement to fish the wire. FAWK!!!!!

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FAWK THIS HOUSE!!!!!

The circuit for the wall oven isn't rated properly and can't support the new oven. Requires a 4 wire 40 amp circuit and it only has a 3 wire 30 amp circuit in place. That's going to add at least an extra day to the efforts as I'll have to rip open the ceiling in the basement to fish the wire. FAWK!!!!!
OUch :ohsnap:

gcb

VIP
Electric ranges are WT

As long as the cost isn't significant, just remember the hassle will pay for itself when the house is sold.

John

Transplant
VIP
FAWK THIS HOUSE!!!!!

That's really not too bad of a setback when doing major remodeling. Yeah, it sucks, but like you said it will only out you back a day and the cost overage won't be very significant.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Electric ranges are WT

As long as the cost isn't significant, just remember the hassle will pay for itself when the house is sold.
Double wall oven. If I were staying here, the appliances would be gas. Just found the gas line under the oven/in the basement ceiling.