• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Heat Problem?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Woke up from a nap- mom is worried the heat doesn't seem to be coming on.

It has been working for the last few days, but had it set to 73 at it was showing 70 (then 69) but nothing is blowing...

changed filter...

Not sure what else to try. Clock is way off but we don't use schedules anymore anyway, just the "Hold At."

Gas is working fine on the stove.

Fan works fine when we put the Fan onto "on" instead of auto but it doesn't feel particularly warm when blowing.

gcb

VIP
Change the filter? Don't use the heat until it hits 65°? Move to someplace with a better quality of life?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Forced air furnace... no pilot light, unit is only like 6 years old... It was 36 degrees last night... go back down to the same tonight.

Filter is clean.

Fan works on manual on... Gas is working in the house... but for some reason the unit isn't using gas to heat up.

ricktj

VIP
Could a thermo unit in the thermostat have gone bad itself? Maybe a small relay or something inside isn't sending signal to the furnace to begin the heat cycle?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It certainly clicks enough that it sounds like relays are firing in the termostat.

Under Warranty? No probably not. Have a home warranty that would cover it if I went though them, but I didn't because it's the coldest week of the year and they don't do weekend/emergency service. If I wanted to wait until sometime next week, then maybe another week to get parts, it would be covered under that.

There's a service guy here now.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Ugg...

Repair guy doesn't know what's wrong... getting a message "something is open" but reset isn't working and he doesn't what to do next. :banghead:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The error is something about a low pressure fire switch. He has to order a new one so it won't be fixed today (tonight will be coldest night of the year around here so far) but he should have it for tomorrow.

We have a couple space heaters, guess we'll use them tonight.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If it's vacuum related you can tap on it and it should fire up. This happened to mine quite a few years back. Probably search on here for my thread about it.

ricktj

VIP
If it gets rediculously cold, crack a couple faucets to a slow drip just to keep water flowing so it can't freeze your pipes. Should a pipe freeze, turn the tap full open and take a hair dryer to it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The guy left everything apart. He tried quite a few things to try to get it to work for today, but ultimately said he was sorry but it just wasn't going to work until he gets the new part.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
So after a bunch of missed appointments by the last guy I just called the home warranty company, they sent a new place out, they diagnosed it as the main circuit board, it clearly had water damage- must have been from those prior times water backed up in the drainage pipes... anyway the warranty company covered it but it took them a few days to order the part and get it to them, then it took a few days for them to return my call to setup an appointment, but they did and it was repaired on Monday the 9th,

It worked a few days (honestly a couple days it wasn't cold enough to even need the heat) but we woke up again (of course it's the weekend) and it's cold again.

And this is going to be a colder couple weeks.

:naw:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Warranty company re-opened original claim but the company is closed today, so no idea yet when they will be able to take a look at it.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
There isn't one HVAC company here that doesn't have on call service techs available every day of the week, including holidays.