• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Independence Day: Resurgence

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Anyone else catch the trailer yesterday during the football games?

Not sure what to think yet.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Saw the trailer and was unimpressed

When studios run out of ideas they just re-hash a previous mony spinner and hope to repeat it

Hope this one is better than the last. The original had a lot of promise, but fawked it up with cliche stupidity an lack of creativity.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I saw it and like the idea. I thought the first was awesome. Campy, cliché, etc, but sometimes you just want to watch a movie with jokes and shit blowing up. I was very disappointed at the lack of Will Smith, though.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
I saw it and like the idea. I thought the first was awesome. Campy, cliché, etc, but sometimes you just want to watch a movie with jokes and shit blowing up. I was very disappointed at the lack of Will Smith, though.
It was known for a while he wouldn't do the second movie if it came out. I read a bit about how they 'killed' his character off.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
When studios run out of ideas they just re-hash a previous mony spinner and hope to repeat it
Every studio is trying to establish (or re-establish) their franchises.

And who knew Judd Hirsch was still alive?

Last edited:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Every studio is trying to establish (or re-establish) their franchises.

And who knew Judd Hirsch was still alive?
It's hilarious to me that you mention that, because as soon as I saw him I said out loud "shouldn't he be dead?" :jump:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
He was in a TV show "Forever" this year, He played the part well, not like an old fart brought on to add a star to the cast list :beerchug:
He's actually awesome in everything he's in - something about being Jewish gives you great comedic timing.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Looks interesting enough. I remember seeing the original Independence Day in the theater... alone. Back when theaters were smaller community places, not giant mega plexes.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Independence Day was actually the first DVD I ever bought, right along with the purchase of my Panasonic DVD player.

neevo

Limey Hippo
ID4 was incredible for it's marketing. Around Jan they started to release the sequence where the white house etc were destroyed. Common enough now but in those days it was clever marketing. I worked in videos at the toime and they had special trailers sent out to us so that we could start spreading the word. This was eons before Facebook etc but the way they did it, it became an instant hit

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The first commercial I saw for the original ID4 was the Superbowl which was still in January in those days. Was so annoyed release was still like 6 months away, but I knew it wouldn't live up to the hype.

I remember some people on tv calling it "this generation's star wars." :rolleyes:

neevo

Limey Hippo
Working in a rental store puts you in the movie biz?
for the ID4 marketing guys it seemed to - I expect they were relying on us spreading the word

Anyway, at the time video rental made more money for the studios than the cinema releases

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
OH MY DAMN -- YOU JUST OUT-JOHN'D JOHN

"I worked in videos at the toime"

:rotflmao: Was it Movie Gallery or Blockbuster? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: