• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon FireTV Update blocks access for FireStarter App Launcher

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Amazon FireTV update 5.0.5.1 blocks all attempts to access the custom FireStarter App launnher very popular with people who sideload apps onto their FireTV.

It seems Amazon took this action because they recently started showing ads on the home screen of the FireTV and the FireStarter Launcher bypasses this screen.

Therefore I must change all my previous high ratings for all FireTV apps (Sticks as well) to poor 1 star ratings for screwing over customers without warning. You aren't even able to properly uninstall the app an adb command line interface.

More Info: FireStarter not compatible with new Fire TV software update 5.0.5.1 AFTVnews

:naw:

I was a big fan of the FireTV when it first came out. I have since moved to the nVidia Shield Android TV. For a cheaper option I'd go with a Nexus player. No "stick" version of an Android TV device and no good Amazon Instant Video solution, but overall I like Android TV much better than the FireTV OS.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Workaround and temporary fix for FireStarter.

More Info/Download from: [APP] FireStarter v3.2.3 | Non-Root Launcher Replacement HOME-DOUBLE-CLICK-DETECTION - Post #591

Instructions:

1) You must uninstall the old FireStarter which now you can only do via an adb command line connection.

After connecting run the following command:
Code:
adb uninstall de.belu.firestarter
After you get the "success" message go ahead and install the FireStopper.apk file with the command:

Code:
adb install FireStopper.apk
(Assuming your command prompt is in the same folder as the FireStopper.apk file is.

Finally, reboot your FireTV by holding down the center select button and play/pause button together for a few seconds until the message appears on the screen about restarting.

After the system reboots you will be at the default FireTV screen. On my 2nd Generation Amazon FireTV box you have to click the Home button on the remote and you'll go to FireStarter. On my 1st Generation FireTV you have to manually launch FireStarter once, then it will be in the recent apps section of the default Amazon home screen and you can access it from there.

If using the home button isn't bringing you to FireStarter make sure in FireStarter settings you are using ADB Debugging detection to detect Home button clicks and it should work.

Sounds like a hassle. Unless you need Amazon Instant (Prime) video, you'd probably be happier with an Android TV device.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Sounds like a hassle. Unless you need Amazon Instant (Prime) video, you'd probably be happier with an Android TV device.
Agreed. I think an NVidia device is in my future. Even if we get this working I don't want to be stuck in a cat and mouse game with Amazon. I just won't use their device at all if they're going to force their homescreen on me.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I was certainly pissed when a recent update to my Kindle Fire reset it to using their launcher rather than my preference. Haven't had time to try re-configuring my launcher.

I'll probably reset it and give it to my wife. My Nexus is 100% better. Just much more expensive.

Agreed. I think an NVidia device is in my future. Even if we get this working I don't want to be stuck in a cat and mouse game with Amazon. I just won't use their device at all if they're going to force their homescreen on me.
The FireTV is a decent enough device for what it is, but it's just too much of an ad for Amazon. Same can be said for Roku (pushing M-Go, now called FandangoNOW), and I presume AppleTV with iTunes. At least with the nVidia Shield TV you don't have entire "movie" or "TV" main menu sections with only one provider, and you can enable/disable whatever sources you want from the recommendations bar. You can also change the launcher on the Shield, but I've never bothered. Side loaded apps are still not on the main menu, but at least you can install a side-load launcher on the main menu that takes you straight to them instead of making you click you way down through the settings menu.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
yeah, companies have tried to fight the open source programmers before. Doesn't usually work out well for them.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The developer of FireStarter has changed the App name to AppStarter: [APP] AppStarter v4.0 | FireStarter is now A | Amazon Fire TV

The new AppStarter is similar to the blacklisted FireStarter but will not auto-run and cannot detect the "home" button, so each time you start the FireTV you will have to launch it from the regular FireTV menu- which isn't a big deal now that sideloaded apps will display on the most recent list.

The thoughts are this will keep Amazon happy since people still see their startup screen.

The app still has the benefits of allowing you to automatically install/update Kodi or SPMC.