• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Anyone know AutoCAD 2016?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It's been a long time since I actually made plan sets in AutoCAD. I think it was R12 or something like that. We basically just drew the title blocks on the page and then made our drawing inside of that. I think that's not exactly how it works in modern iterations. I've been working in the Model view and from what I've read I'm supposed to make a layout and use a viewport to turn my Model into plans.

Anyone have any experience with that? Any helpful tutorials on that process that you can point me towards?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I know basically nothing of AutoCAD. If you asked about MicroStation, I might be able to answer though my knowledge is limited to Civil things rather than Architectural.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
No clue

We use BlueBeam and I don't know how that works :rotflmao:

In my defense, I don't have BlueBeam and doubt they will put it on my computer (although I'd like it).

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I got a couple semesters and a certificate in it, back in 2000.... jjj

I don't remember much about it.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
If you'd like, just email me the file with the titleblock in it and I'll get it setup. Just give me a sheet size you need.

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
If you'd like, just email me the file with the titleblock in it and I'll get it setup. Just give me a sheet size you need.
Jay beat me to it. Send the file and one of us can set it up. It's easy.

Drawing goes in model space, title block goes in paperspace.

Create a viewport in paperspace to see the model space and lock the scale. Then set the scale to match in modelspace.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Do I just draw my titleblock in the model? Where does it go? Do you have any blank title blocks you could throw on it where I could fill in the details? PM me your email. Not sure if I still have it or not.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Jay beat me to it. Send the file and one of us can set it up. It's easy.

Drawing goes in model space, title block goes in paperspace.

Create a viewport in paperspace to see the model space and lock the scale. Then set the scale to match in modelspace.
How do I get to paperspace? The only tabs I have are Model and Layout1. If I add a tab it just goes to Layout2 and so-on. Do I draw the titleblock in one of the layout tabs, then do the viewport there? Can I have the layout colors different than the model colors? The model background is black or dark grey, so when I see it in the layout window the light blue is hard to see on a white background and needs to be black.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
My goal is to take the models I've been sketching and format them with a title block on 24x36 layouts so that I can export to PDF and print somewhere like Fedex or Staples.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So I created a new layout from a template which is imperial architecture, I think. It basically created a D-Size layout with title block for me. That's probably sufficient. I'm just not 100% clear on how to address things like layer color in the viewport/layout. I'm guessing that I need to simply change the theming to Light from Dark and change my layer colors to be what I want them to print as.

edit: I'm assuming VP Color in the layer manager is the key, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:

FinlayZJ

Doing hoodrat things
VIP
Do I just draw my titleblock in the model? Where does it go? Do you have any blank title blocks you could throw on it where I could fill in the details? PM me your email. Not sure if I still have it or not.
x-ref your titleblock when your current tab is layout1.

How do I get to paperspace? The only tabs I have are Model and Layout1. If I add a tab it just goes to Layout2 and so-on. Do I draw the titleblock in one of the layout tabs, then do the viewport there? Can I have the layout colors different than the model colors? The model background is black or dark grey, so when I see it in the layout window the light blue is hard to see on a white background and needs to be black.
Layout1 is paperspace. When you add new tabs, each new tab is another layout/additional paperspace. X-ref the titleblock in each layout. You can change your background colors in both. Just google most questions you have. Lots of tutorials out there.

My goal is to take the models I've been sketching and format them with a title block on 24x36 layouts so that I can export to PDF and print somewhere like Fedex or Staples.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Wall of text.... the open question is:

WTF doesn't the color change in the layout view when I set the VP Color for a given layer?