• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Finally did Win 10 Upgrade

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Finally upgraded my ASUS G750JX-DB71.

With the July 29th deadline getting closer I finally went ahead and did the Windows 10 upgrade. Funny thing is I don't recall it ever trying to upgrade without me.

Anyway, knock wood, most seems to have gone well. Getting used to the new interface. Made a few tweaks with Winaero Tweaker but the most annoying thing was returning default programs to open music, photos, and videos back to what I had before the upgrade rather than the Windows 10 defaults.

Overall though I'm very happy with the upgrade experience

Edit- as I was typing this my network connection began bombing out, ultimately ended with no internet despite being connected by wifi.

Seems to be a known issue with a utility I use to connect to a VPN.. there's a workground.

If that's my biggest problem I'll consider myself lucky.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Mine went pretty smooth. The only issue I had was one of the 2 printers I have would bomb out the install at 28 percent and then just hang.

As soon as I unplugged it, the install finished and then I just had to plug it back in.
Overall I am pretty happy with it so far.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
If you use godmode, that's available on 10. Stupid name, nut handy to have all settings together

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I've been running 10 since the earlier pre-release versions. Still using them on my laptop. Love it, best Windows yet. I'm not a fan of upgrading, I had to get some data recovery software when my mom's computer decided to upgrade. totally hosed it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Pretty sure (aside from 8 to 8.1) this is the first major version Windows upgrade I've done on my own PC since Windows 3.1 to Windows 95- my parents took me to Staples to wait online for the midnight release. :rotflmao:

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
go in and make sure system recovery is enabled. Both upgrades I did turned it off. Otherwise if you have trouble you won't have any saved restore points to go back to.

MS knows of the issue but AFAIK hasn't fixed it.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
Win 10 is 10X more secure than XP or 7. Windows defender does a good job as long as you just let it do it's thing. For those of us who hang out on the seedy side of the innertubes, that's a big deal.

I used to obsess over having complete control over my OS and PC. Windows 10 really isn't meant for that and as long as you surrender control to microsoft, Win 10 is the best ever.

"Jesus take the wheel" :bsod:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
go in and make sure system recovery is enabled. Both upgrades I did turned it off. Otherwise if you have trouble you won't have any saved restore points to go back to.

MS knows of the issue but AFAIK hasn't fixed it.
Good call, mine is disabled.

Think I'm going to get a 256GB USB Flash drive so I can do a full backup of my C drive.

My data is stored to a local NAS and an online backup so that is safe.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Seems my issues are from some new gestures recognized by Windows 10 that were't on Win 8.x.

Mostly the 3 finger ones.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/1ea771fa-a9ee-4a43-97f8-e2a1242e28ac/touchpad-gestures-for-windows-10

• Select an item: Tap on the touchpad. (Old)
  • Scroll: Place two fingers on the touchpad and slide horizontally or vertically.(Old)
  • Zoom in or out: Place two fingers on the touchpad and pinch in or stretch out. (Old)
  • Show more commands (similar to right-clicking): Tap the touchpad with two fingers, or press in the lower-right corner. (New, at least to me)
  • See all open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them away from you. (New)
  • Show the desktop: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe them towards yourself. (New)
  • Switch between open windows: Place three fingers on the touchpad and swipe right or left. (New)
  • Some of these gestures will only work with precision touchpads, so don't fret if a move won't work for you. (New)

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
My son's upgrade went well, but he's not home to give it whirl and complain when he cannot make ti work.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I did a clean wipe on my machine and it was a CF getting back to Windows 10. I had to reinstall 7, then 240+ updates, then upgrade to 10. The start menu wouldn't work. So I requested a call from MS. Literally, the phone rang 3 seconds after I hung up. Guy from the Philippines installed a full version of 10 remote, one you can't revert back to 7 from, and all is well.

Last edited:

neevo

Limey Hippo
It's a silly reason but my favourite feature is how you can hit the winkey and start typing to launch a prog or search

ie winkey cmd ENTER and the command prompt just opens, no messing around clicking here and there to search or focus the typing

winkey rdp and up pops remote desktop

It's saved so much time and hassle from win7 :thup2:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It's a silly reason but my favourite feature is how you can hit the winkey and start typing to launch a prog or search

ie winkey cmd ENTER and the command prompt just opens, no messing around clicking here and there to search or focus the typing

winkey rdp and up pops remote desktop

It's saved so much time and hassle from win7 :thup2:
I hit winkey and type "rem" and hit enter and it opens Remote Desktop. I'm still using Windows 7. Don't think that's a new feature.

neevo

Limey Hippo
I hit winkey and type "rem" and hit enter and it opens Remote Desktop. I'm still using Windows 7. Don't think that's a new feature.
I always used to select the search box before typing in, probably I didnt need to

Now it seems rem rdp or rdc all work for remote desktop when used with the winkey