• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Bypassing word filters and workarounds

neelandan

Owner of dot net
At a forum which was announced recently at juot (and the poster banned for spamming) the site admin doesn't like being addressed as "amdim". Long story, it involves a bunch of people at theranter, a site which used to be networked with juot.

So he has set up a word filter which expands the hated word into a long sentence. Sign up, make one post using that word repeated and a small submission explodes to fill the screen.

[NOBB]Amdim[/NOBB] displays as a bold amdim, and winds him up sufficiently that he throws an entertaining tantrum.

I'm right now testing the "miniBB" package, installed at forum.it2n dot net and, if I filter words at that site, I don't want some smart arse taking this technique and making me throw a tantrum.

Is there some function, javascript perhaps, which will get rid of the text decoration tags and present the resulting word to the filter?

Or maybe if I run a forum I should just stop being offended by silly stuff and stop looking for technology to insulate me?