• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Review of ASUS G750JX-DB71 17.3-Inch Laptop Hint: It [was] AWESOME![Now Disappointed]

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Well the replacement keyboard seems to be working. It's been a long time since I've had a laptop open that much and so many screws to deal with.

Looks brand new...

Just have to get used to using the space bar again and not the command key I re-assigned to be space last week.

Keyboard cover is now in place.

Inside...

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Glad it works. I tried to use a cover like that after I messed mine up, but I just never could get comfortable with it.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I once killed my MacBook charger with a recliner. Managed to replace the cable, but it was a hack job and not something I'd suggest trying.

On a different note, how is it performing after this many years? I love that my MBP and desktop (mostly ASUS components) are both humming along like champs. My desktop was built in 2011 and my laptop is from 2012.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I don't want to jinx anything, but since that keyboard replacement it has been smooth sailing. (Knocking on wood now.) It took the Win 10 upgrade like a champ, first time I haven't done a clean OS install since Win 95.

Guess we're almost at the 3 year mark. I really see no compelling reason to upgrade at this point, if it keeps running I'll be a happy camper. Would love another year out of it.

Still at 16 GB RAM, I could always upgrade to 32 if I feel it getting bloated.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Received laptop October 15, 2013
Today is June 16, 2018

Laptop has been working mostly well for 4 years, 8 months, 2 days so far. I never upgraded beyond 16 GB RAM, the only major issue over the years was the need for the keyboard replacement but since that (and with constant keyboard cover in place) no more keyboard issues. Only real issue is from a Windows 10 update and it breaks compatibility with the built in SD card reader and some USB flash drives. It's annoying but rarely an issue, just don't use either these days. I did get a USB 5 in 1 memory card reader that works just fine for SD cards now.

Anyway the system is honestly (and thankfully) still solid. I see no signs of it beginning to slow or fail (hopefully I don't jinx it) but I think 5 years wouldn't have been out of the question, possibly 6 or longer had I upgraded the RAM.

Instead I was fortunate to get an Origin PC laptop which I had to wait about 20 days for a replacement LCD screen to arrive before I was comfortable transferring over to the new machine. I got the new LCD in today and it looks awesome- a 4K display.

Still I will miss the roominess of this ASUS keyboard and the screen (at 17.3") is slightly larger and quite noticeable when the machines are next to each other. The Origin NS-17 screen is just barely 17 inches and the keyboard is more cramped. I just hope it lasts longer.

In coming days/weeks I hope to do a full comparison and review.