• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Anyone Making Their Own Wine / Beer

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I bought my sister one of those "Mr. Brewery" or something things from Bed Bath & Beyond for her bday, it was a disaster... complete waste of money.

panzer

BANNED!
I have been brewing and kegging my own beer for years. Have 7 kegs filled and ready to go.
Favorite brew is a Newcastle clone. I also have a Honey Nut Brown Ale, European Pilsner,
Honey Bee ale. Getting ready to order for the fall brewing schedule.

scott00tj

The Missing Goonie
VIP
I have been brewing and kegging my own beer for years. Have 7 kegs filled and ready to go.
Favorite brew is a Newcastle clone. I also have a Honey Nut Brown Ale, European Pilsner,
Honey Bee ale. Getting ready to order for the fall brewing schedule.
Ever come across a Smithwicks clone recipe?

I've often wanted to try and distill my own bourbon on a stove top still. I just dont know where to get new charred oak barrels that are small enough. I'm thinking small batches like no more than 6 or 7 gallons of mash so only about 2 gallons of actual whiskey. And Im not concerned about the legalities of it.

panzer

BANNED!
Ever come across a Smithwicks clone recipe?
Haven't tried this. I do mostly extract brewing. I'll keep looking
for an extract recipe.

Ingredients:
(For 5 Gallons U.S.)

* 7 1/2 lbs. English Pale Malted Barley Extract
* 1 lb. of crystal malt
* 6 oz Roasted Barley
* 4 oz Corn Starch
* 1 1/2 oz Fuggles hops 4.5% alpha acid
* 2 tsp. Gypsum
* 1 tsp. Chalk
* 1/2 tsp. Epsom Salts
* 1/2 oz Goldings hops (finishing)
* Wyeast British Ale Yeast

Method:
Infusion mash at 150° F. (include the cornstarch in the mash). Add 1 tsp. of the Gypsum to the sparge water. Add the rest of the gypsum, Epsom salts and Chalk to the boiler. Boil with Fuggles hops for 75 minutes. Add the Goldings finishing hops during the last 2 minutes. Force chill to 70°. Specific Gravity 1.046. Ferment as usual.