• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Anyone own a hive?

My inlaws just got into it. They just have one hive, one box high right now, they will go to 2 boxes in the spring I guess. Good money in honey, so they say

RhodeIslandRed

The man, myth and legend©
I have thought about setting one up but the wife is allergic. Between the garden and the fruit trees/bushes I have been planting it would be nice to have them around - not to mention the honey.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
We had a number of them when I was a kid. Extracting from the comb was a hella messy business though. We lost our hives to bears if memory serves.

I hope we have no bears attacking the hive in Ohio........................I think the Wolly bear is the bear in Ohio so I think we are safe

Bubbles

99 and 44/100% Pure
The Varroa mites will probably kill out the bees before Summer is over. You can apply Formic acid gel packs in the hives to kill the mites, but you can't use it during the honey production season.

I learned that while I was in state prison. :agree:

:poofey: