• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Need A New Router

scott00tj

The Missing Goonie
VIP
I think my Linksys is finally gonna take a dump at home. I thought about flashing it with custom firmware like DD-WRT, but that won't matter if its a hardware failure. What should I get to replace it? I know I want wireless N capability.

skimblz

Ski Bum
My linksys has wireless N on it and both the PC and Mac connecting to it have very solid connections. Stronger signal too. :)

Stock Linksys firmware. Haven't tried the DD-WRT. What does that give you over the stock firmware that you would consider really worth it?

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
One thing you can do is put the router into bridge mode, but that's all I know off the top of my head. Google it and you will find what you need.

John

Transplant
VIP
I'm not a big Linksys fan. I've never been happy with any of the ones I've used. I like Netgear a lot better.

John

Transplant
VIP
I'm by no means an IT expert, but I find them to be more user friendly and trouble free.

erikrs301

luhlz, manufacturing
home use? cheapest Netgear/Linksys/DLink/whateverthefawk for $29 at Staples :agree:

...mine is pushing 3yrs trouble free and was the cheapest peice of Netgear trash at the time

will_m

White and Nerdy
I have 2 Linksys units at home (one as a router and one router acting like an AP.)

Over 3 years and no issues.

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
Another vote for linksys N series... several people I know have either the G or N series- no issues among that group and their routers are no-brainers to get up and running.

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
I've got an old Netgear RT311 that refuses to die. Originally purchased in 2000 or so. Little buggar was EOL'd eons ago but it just keeps on working.

scott00tj

The Missing Goonie
VIP
I was given a NetGear for Christmas one year. I wasn't overly impressed and ended up taking it back for a Linksys. With that being said I have been through about 3 Linksys boxes in the past few years. They (Linksys) seem to only last for about a year then die in one way or another. I would take an actual old unused CISCO box from work and run it if it wasn't so damn loud.