• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Ball Lightining...

Fleg

Bewbie
There is a lightning farm not to far from where I live. I would have told you about it had you given me some advanced notice you were passing through.

Personally, I think tornadoes are the coolest. They have an amazing ability to seek out trailer parks and leave the more desirable areas untouched.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
No, I was planning a possible trip out that way, hadn't gone, and trip seems unlikely at the moment.

Koolbreeze

I believe I have witnessed ball lightening as I have never heard an alternative explanation for the following:

many years ago we had a "puke o meter" consisting of a washer hung on a string located in a space on the top of a ship. (the point was it would swing as the ship rocked.) during a storm one night with a particular radar turned on, occasionaly it would lightly connect with a worn area of the bulkhead resulting in a small ball of energy forming which would sit there building mass until it would shoot up the wall and out dissipating. very cool to say the least. happened a handfull of times and we couldn't duplicate the action, only when doing so happenstance would the phenomenon occur. that radar was crazy, when active with a battle helmet donned you would hear a rrrrnnNNNnnnrrr as it rotated. also you could get a small electric arch at the top of the ladder leading up to the top deck by placing the snap hook sides equidistance surrounding the ring welded on the ladder rail. ah yes... good stuff as a teenager to entertain themselves with on a lonely midwatch.