• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Garage door opener binding

gcb

VIP
My garage door opener won't open all the way, so I assumed it was binding. I unlatched the trolley so the screw drive mechanism doesn't pull the door, and it still happens. It moves for three seconds then it stops. Is it time for a new opener?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Mine have force limiting adjustments on them -- they only try to a certain amount of force (so they don't squish a kid, I guess) so that may need an adjustment.

gcb

VIP
My YouTube diagnosis skills told me the motor was shot, so I bought a new belt drive unit. Much quieter and installed in two hours.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
My YouTube diagnosis skills told me the motor was shot, so I bought a new belt drive unit. Much quieter and installed in two hours.

That's usually best.

I love my belt drive, smooth and tons quieter.

Toney Marconi

Fat, drunk, and stupid
VIP
Once you go belt - you'll never go back.

I've got a Craftsman Belt Drive. Going strong for over 20 years now. Had to replace a gear once but that's it. People with chain / screw drives are amazed how smooth and quiet it is.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
If you hadn't replaced it, I'd suggest checking the IR safety beam to make sure they're aligned. Easy to kick and make it stop functioning.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Once you go belt - you'll never go back.

I've got a Craftsman Belt Drive. Going strong for over 20 years now. Had to replace a gear once but that's it. People with chain / screw drives are amazed how smooth and quiet it is.
I replaced my chain drive on the big door with a belt drive a few weeks ago - ****ing AWESOME. If I could figure out how to make the door itself quiet the movement would be damn near silent.