• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

New Jeep

The block in my YJ cracked, leaking coolant into the crankcase causing a seized engine. The plan is to replace the engine with a 4.0, but that may take a while so this is what I'm driving until then.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Is teh YJ a 4.2 or 4.0?

Why not follow in the footsteps of 1000's of others and drop in a 5.3?

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
Be gentle on that Cherokee. Tis the season for XJ overheats if the number of overheating XJs I saw pulled off the roads this weekend is any indication. :rotflmao:

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Be gentle on that Cherokee. Tis the season for XJ overheats if the number of overheating XJs I saw pulled off the roads this weekend is any indication. :rotflmao:
Amateurs. It isn't hard to make them live in the heat. My 225K mile special has zero issues here in AZ.

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
Amateurs. It isn't hard to make them live in the heat. My 225K mile special has zero issues here in AZ.
Indeed. I doubt the ones I saw puffing steam had been thoughtfully cared for. Plodding up over the 17 through the Santa Cruz mountains in bumper to bumper traffic under triple digits temps tested several owner's imprudence this weekend. :clapping:

TacticalFats

Odometer of The Beast
VIP
The block in my YJ cracked, leaking coolant into the crankcase causing a seized engine. The plan is to replace the engine with a 4.0, but that may take a while so this is what I'm driving until then.

How many miles?

139k on my turd yj and it runs great. My 55k XJ idles hot of course. :banghead:

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
What's the point in keeping a vehicle with that many miles?
Because I drive a crapload of miles for work. XJ is cheap to operate and maintain. Plus some of us have to WORK to earn money to pay for cars. Why would I want to put 25K miles per year on my nice cars?

That being said, every vehicle I have ever owned has served me well for over 150K miles. If it is paid for, runs good, looks good, why spend the $$ for a new one?

Again, you have ZERO concept of the value of anything.

Deere1

Because I drive a crapload of miles for work. XJ is cheap to operate and maintain. Plus some of us have to WORK to earn money to pay for cars. Why would I want to put 25K miles per year on my nice cars?

That being said, every vehicle I have ever owned has served me well for over 150K miles. If it is paid for, runs good, looks good, why spend the $$ for a new one?

Again, you have ZERO concept of the value of anything.
I wasn't bashing you in anyway. I was just saying wouldn't at that kind of mileage, Wouldn't maintenance costs rise?

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
I wasn't bashing you in anyway. I was just saying wouldn't at that kind of mileage, Wouldn't maintenance costs rise?
Oil change costs the same. "Wear" type items are going to wear at the same rate.

Here's a simple lesson in economics for you...

Say you are paying $400/mo on a car payment. When that car is paid off, you have $4800 extra per year in your pocket. So even if a transmission went out and I had to spend $1500, I still have $3300 more than if I had the payment.

I'm trying to teach dieselgal the same lesson right now. There are a couple maintenance items (due to her complete lack of maintenance) that are going to cost about $300 in parts. She is wanting to go buy a new car because of this. She has a completely paid-off car that has given her ZERO problems. So why burden yourself with a car payment? In the world of debt, there is good debt and bad debt...car loans are bad debt.

Monthly maintenance costs of a paid vehicle are less than a vehicle your paying... since you have to pay for it AND pay to maintain it.
^^^This

Last edited:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
If the car is well maintained throughout its life, it's not so bad. Some things do wear out but not as bad as you might think. Mostly wear and tear.

Of course if you beat the shit out of it, it may not last beyond 50k.

One mistake I made in the old job was buying a fairly new car with few miles. It served me very well, still serves me well. But it's also nuts to put 35k+ per year on a car you are still paying for. In retrospect, when I bought my WRX I wish I'd have either also fixed the exhaust and windshield on my GTi and kept it running for another year or so (putting in a quart of oil per week) but also keeping the miles off my WRX. Or made arrangements to buy the car my mother had traded in just prior to my purchase. It would have been cheap and I'd have gotten a few years out of it to save even more.

Such is life and you learn.

I admit I did enjoy driving a newer car that I didn't have to worry about. I didn't like the thought that I was beating the piss out of what I owed money on.

Today, I really don't want to take on a car payment. I have been lusting after several newer cars but I just don't want that car payment. :shrug: So I keep driving my WRX.

Deere1

Oil change costs the same. "Wear" type items are going to wear at the same rate.

Here's a simple lesson in economics for you...

Say you are paying $400/mo on a car payment. When that car is paid off, you have $4800 extra per year in your pocket. So even if a transmission went out and I had to spend $1500, I still have $3300 more than if I had the payment.

I'm trying to teach dieselgal the same lesson right now. There are a couple maintenance items (due to her complete lack of maintenance) that are going to cost about $300 in parts. She is wanting to go buy a new car because of this. She has a completely paid-off car that has given her ZERO problems. So why burden yourself with a car payment? In the world of debt, there is good debt and bad debt...car loans are bad debt.

^^^This
I agree it's best to avoid debt at all costs. I can't see paying for something 72 months.
If the car is well maintained throughout its life, it's not so bad. Some things do wear out but not as bad as you might think. Mostly wear and tear.

Of course if you beat the shit out of it, it may not last beyond 50k.

One mistake I made in the old job was buying a fairly new car with few miles. It served me very well, still serves me well. But it's also nuts to put 35k+ per year on a car you are still paying for. In retrospect, when I bought my WRX I wish I'd have either also fixed the exhaust and windshield on my GTi and kept it running for another year or so (putting in a quart of oil per week) but also keeping the miles off my WRX. Or made arrangements to buy the car my mother had traded in just prior to my purchase. It would have been cheap and I'd have gotten a few years out of it to save even more.

Such is life and you learn.

I admit I did enjoy driving a newer car that I didn't have to worry about. I didn't like the thought that I was beating the piss out of what I owed money on.

Today, I really don't want to take on a car payment. I have been lusting after several newer cars but I just don't want that car payment. :shrug: So I keep driving my WRX.
I agree that it's absurd to put a shit load of wear and tear on vehicles you're still in debt for. Where we went to school was a good 15-18 miles round trip from home everyday. Come 65K miles the only thing needed rebuilt would be the front suspension and steering on our trucks(brother and I).

Cornholio01

I can't see paying for something 72 months.
Average loan term is now around 66 months.

New/used/drive it til wheels fall off debate aside, with money so cheap, it pretty much works to stretch a new vehicle loan out that far if you MUST buy new/fairly new. Given conventional financing of course. I'm not talking about the idiot paying 20% for his borrowed funds.

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. I'm totally in the pay it off and drive it camp.

Fair disclosure, I myself have a 72 munff term. Was determined to have an LJ in early '07, it was either buy tough to find used around IIRC 6% depending on term, or brand spanking new leftover at 0%-72 mos term. I bought new and made myself write an IRA contribution as punishment for nothing down on the new car.

I worked retail auto for a couple years. Not once did I ever see someone bring a financial calculator to the battle. Its disgusting.

Deere1

Average loan term is now around 66 months.

New/used/drive it til wheels fall off debate aside, with money so cheap, it pretty much works to stretch a new vehicle loan out that far if you MUST buy new/fairly new. Given conventional financing of course. I'm not talking about the idiot paying 20% for his borrowed funds.

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying. I'm totally in the pay it off and drive it camp.

Fair disclosure, I myself have a 72 munff term. Was determined to have an LJ in early '07, it was either buy tough to find used around IIRC 6% depending on term, or brand spanking new leftover at 0%-72 mos term. I bought new and made myself write an IRA contribution as punishment for nothing down on the new car.

I worked retail auto for a couple years. Not once did I ever see someone bring a financial calculator to the battle. Its disgusting.
To tell you the truth rammer, I don't think a vehicle would hold up with me for 72 months If acquired new, At 3-4 years they have the shit beat out of them, Including wot up grades towing trailers and not letting them warm up on cold mornings. I am all for debt free and paid off vehicles.

But at the same time when you work for family you try and keep a nice truck, But since they're paying you your salary and paying for maintenance, You have do what has to be done. One reason I bought an suv to have something nice.