• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The ZJ needs Brakes

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
They're probably going to say it needs rotors too... How much you think it will cost?

The ZJ is in such bad shape overall I question of it's even worth it to put that type of money into it... :(

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Typical jew yorker. Too cheap to replace brakes for $100. They are not an option.
If it's $100 that's not problem... But if they're $1000... or even $800 which IIRC is what it was to do the WJ brakes and rotor back in 2005 or so... I have to question if I could buy something better for $1000.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
Knowing what kind of shape my 95 was in when I unloaded it last month, I can only imagine what a steaming pile of shit yours is.

I really don't miss it, but I have a nicer, newer Jeep to help the grieving process. :rockz:

In all honesty Joe, it's probably not even safe to drive yours.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
In all honesty Joe, it's probably not even safe to drive yours.
No one takes it on the highway anymore... just mom or sis drive it on the streets around the neighborhood.

Easier to park than the big avalanche or white van.

I wonder what I could get to scrap it.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
I got $1000 trade in and I was happy. I've seen them on CL for as much as $1800 in a lot worse shape than mine.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
you can always donate it to charity and write off the book value.
Wasn't that law changed some time ago? I think you can only write it off for what the charity actually sells it for now- had the same problem with the boat- which as far as I know, never sold... all we could get was $500 deduction if it doesn't sell.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
If it's $100 that's not problem... But if they're $1000... or even $800 which IIRC is what it was to do the WJ brakes and rotor back in 2005 or so... I have to question if I could buy something better for $1000.
Most chain stores will quote you about $100, worst case $200 (since NYC) per axle. The problem comes when it needs more than just pads (rotors, calipers, etc).

Even so, I highly doubt that you are going to get something for under $1000 that doesn't have even more issues that need to be attended to than yours.

This is how cars work. They take you places and in return, they cost money to maintain.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
Wasn't that law changed some time ago? I think you can only write it off for what the charity actually sells it for now- had the same problem with the boat- which as far as I know, never sold... all we could get was $500 deduction if it doesn't sell.
You are correct. The days of writing off for book value are long gone.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
We're going to call, explain the situation- we have a god relationship with them.

This may be the end of the line for the ZJ... it really isn't needed... Mom can drive the Avalanche, just not as easy to park... to put in a bunch of money for brakes and the the extra for insurance- it's just not going to be worth it I think.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
We're going to call, explain the situation- we have a god relationship with them.

This may be the end of the line for the ZJ... it really isn't needed... Mom can drive the Avalanche, just not as easy to park... to put in a bunch of money for brakes and the the extra for insurance- it's just not going to be worth it I think.
Why do you have multiple vehicles if you cannot afford to fix the brakes on one?

John

Transplant
VIP
Don't take it to the place you took the Avalanche to. They'll tell you it needs all kinds of shit and easily be $1000

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP

What do you want for it? Not that I need a 4th vehicle or anymore projects, but brakes are easy.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Why do you have multiple vehicles if you cannot afford to fix the brakes on one?
Left overs from when we all had our own cars and I had 2.

Don't take it to the place you took the Avalanche to. They'll tell you it needs all kinds of shit and easily be $1000
That's where it's going.

What do you want for it? Not that I need a 4th vehicle or anymore projects, but brakes are easy.
I suspect scrap value is $600 so if you can match that, it's yours. (Assuming we go that route.) The thing is the brakes are so bad (according to mom) she was afraid to even drive it a few blocks to the shop- was going to use a AAA call for a free tow- would not advise driving it- especially on a highway, in such condition.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Just called the shop. They say worst case it needs everything, $450-$500.

Might take it to them and let them look.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If I were close I'd replace them for you
Thanks.

I remember the days my uncle would replace brakes right in the driveway.., too bad he's pushing 70 now and in Florida.

I could barely check my own oil... even if I was physically able I'd have no idea on brakes.