• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

s6 and s6 edge

DH350nWo

Meh
VIP
Not going to buy the Galaxy iS6. No user replaceable battery, forced cloud storage, and glass front and back. Bucket full of nope.

My s4 battery is on its way out and spending $30± as opposed to sending my device in is a key reason the S6 is no go for me. I have unlimited data, but if I didn't, cloud storage would suck my data down the drain. Iphone4 did the glass thing and it was a disaster. GG4 is only good when it comes to scratches, it won't stop shattering.

I'm actually looking at the Note Edge, but the lack of dev work has me discouraged.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not going to buy the Galaxy iS6. No user replaceable battery, forced cloud storage, and glass front and back. Bucket full of nope.

My s4 battery is on its way out and spending $30± as opposed to sending my device in is a key reason the S6 is no go for me. I have unlimited data, but if I didn't, cloud storage would suck my data down the drain. Iphone4 did the glass thing and it was a disaster. GG4 is only good when it comes to scratches, it won't stop shattering.

I'm actually looking at the Note Edge, but the lack of dev work has me discouraged.
S3 batteries are like $5 on Amazon. I have 4-5 of them.

Forced cloud storage? All I read was that they have 32/64/128gb options and they come with a free M$ cloud storage subscription.... not that you had to use it. I use Dropbox anyway.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I can't imagine the smaller battery coupled with an octo-core proc is going to yield stellar battery life. That's what really turns me off about this phone.... that and the idea that I'd probably have to pay an extra $100-150 for a 64gb or 128gb version rather than just bringing my 64gb card from my S3 over and maybe buying a 128gb sd next year for $45.

The wireless charging aspect has me intrigued. Early reviews of that technology weren't promising. Dunno how it is these days. For that to be viable for me, I'd need to have probably 4 different charging pads. One each for my office and home office desks, one for my night stand, and one for my vehicle.... maybe one for each, bringing the total up to 5. That can't be a cheap thing to accomplish. I'm also not even sure they make vehicle mounted versions or how I could/would deploy them in the M3 and TJ.

Overall, todays news is very disappointing. I actually was holding out, using the ancient S3 and waiting for the S6. Now I'm not even sure what flagship phone I should be holding out for. Maybe I'll just hang on to my S3 for a while longer.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
no shit. they all copy each other. its ironic too see applefanbois claim someone is copying apple when the new apple features all always two years behind android. WIDGETS< BIG SCREENS> OH MY
I HAVE A SAMSUNG. IT'S A ****ING APPLE CLONE.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
My next phone will be an HTC One M9, Asus ZenFone2, Sony Xperia Z4 (if it ever comes to fruition), or the OnePlus Two.

DH350nWo

Meh
VIP
I can't imagine the smaller battery coupled with an octo-core proc is going to yield stellar battery life. That's what really turns me off about this phone.... that and the idea that I'd probably have to pay an extra $100-150 for a 64gb or 128gb version rather than just bringing my 64gb card from my S3 over and maybe buying a 128gb sd next year for $45.

The wireless charging aspect has me intrigued. Early reviews of that technology weren't promising. Dunno how it is these days. For that to be viable for me, I'd need to have probably 4 different charging pads. One each for my office and home office desks, one for my night stand, and one for my vehicle.... maybe one for each, bringing the total up to 5. That can't be a cheap thing to accomplish. I'm also not even sure they make vehicle mounted versions or how I could/would deploy them in the M3 and TJ.

Overall, todays news is very disappointing. I actually was holding out, using the ancient S3 and waiting for the S6. Now I'm not even sure what flagship phone I should be holding out for. Maybe I'll just hang on to my S3 for a while longer.
Qi chargers can be bought cheap from Chinese sites if your willing to wait on slow shipping. The tech has come a long way since it was first implemented.

As for my comment on forced cloud storage, yeah you get a 2 year subscription but once that runs its course you either have to re-up or download the files to a physical medium. The s6 will have different capacities but like said the premium will be passed along as opposed to using your own cards that can be moved from device to device. Also note I said that for many the data usage to up those files will eat into the end users allotment. Not an optimal strategy if you are tied to a low amount of data.

Ardvark

I use Dropbox and Google plus for my storage. Never put a sd card in. Also we already have 2 times as much memory as i6

The article I just read Said that the SD card slowed the phone down and the new cloud storage is much faster. I'll get the s5 this week and the s6edge around Christmas

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Cloud storage is great for backing up photos and stuff, not for a primary storage medium for a mobile device which may not always have data service. I doubt that you're forced to actually use the subscription as the primary medium. Probably can set it like Dropbox to automatically upload photos and stuff.

Was planning on moving to VZW with the S6. Jury is still out but leaning towards abandoning the S6 plan.

I use Dropbox and Google plus for my storage. Never put a sd card in. Also we already have 2 times as much memory as i6

The article I just read Said that the SD card slowed the phone down and the new cloud storage is much faster. I'll get the s5 this week and the s6edge around Christmas
Cloud storage isn't faster when I have a crappy/no connection. And even "unlimited" data hardly is, so I have to deal with caps and throttling.

I bought the S5 for 3 reasons: Waterproofing, SD slot, and removable battery.

They removed those 3 features and now I will not even consider Samsung when it comes to replacing my phone.

Ardvark

It's not waterproof either?
So with three huge downgrades like this maybe they are trying to copy iphone

Last edited:

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
I've never liked Samsung's hardware or software. All the issues my wife had with her S3 tells me I was right.

I have the Motorola Droid Turbo. It's awesome. It's built rock-solid. It can charge from nothing to full in less than a half hour and the battery lasts at least a full 24 hours with heavy use. I can have everything on and running with the screen at full brightness and not worry about having to charge it every few hours. That alone is a major win to me.

Aged Punk Shredder

First World Anarchist
I've never liked Samsung's hardware or software. All the issues my wife had with her S3 tells me I was right.

I have the Motorola Droid Turbo. It's awesome. It's built rock-solid. It can charge from nothing to full in less than a half hour and the battery lasts at least a full 24 hours with heavy use. I can have everything on and running with the screen at full brightness and not worry about having to charge it every few hours. That alone is a major win to me.
all of the newer Droid phones are going to have the fast charging from what I've read, so that will be a non-issue for the 2015 phones

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Good point. If you're going to force a non-removable battery on consumers, at least upgrade it to a massive 3900mah like the droid turbo.

Aged Punk Shredder

First World Anarchist
Good point. If you're going to force a non-removable battery on consumers, at least upgrade it to a massive 3900mah like the droid turbo.
the theory is that if you can fast charge, there is no need for a massive battery. Now we just need to see how that works in real life