• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

networking equipment

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's admittedly rare, but if it does happen with that cable it would be a little extra work that isn't necessary

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Basement closet beside steps. Closer to the front of the house but still somewhat central. Figure I'll have pulls coming down either the front or back at the central location, then between the joists to the closet. Don't want to traverse joists. Want two bundles coming into the closet. One from fron one from back.
The closet marked "Utility Closet" on the floor plan you posted in VIP?

And is the plan to run everything from the floor level up the wall to the outlet? Or run up to the ceiling space and back down the wall? I'm guessing the former.

So for instance in the master, cable would run from basement up to the second floor and then up the wall to the outlet level. Not up to the ceiling of the second floor and back down to the outlet. Yes?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not sure what version of the plan I posted. The network closet is going to be separated from the utility closet. Will check later.

My thought is that on the main floor, my pulls will come up from the basement in two groups, front and back, then through studs to their boxes. Upstairs, I'm leaning towards pulling up to the ceiling then across and down. At the house now, will take some pics.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Why not do one run to the second floor and put a switch in a closet there? Doubtful of any materials cost savings but perhaps time since I assume you're doing this yourself.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Why not do one run to the second floor and put a switch in a closet there? Doubtful of any materials cost savings but perhaps time since I assume you're doing this yourself.
Considered that, but would probably need to go I'm the unfinished storage which is not climate controlled. Not sure how a switch would hold up to that.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Planning to use the 24pt keystone panel for the coax connections. Figure I won't have all of those hot and don't see much value in having splitters for all the ports.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Planning to use the 24pt keystone panel for the coax connections. Figure I won't have all of those hot and don't see much value in having splitters for all the ports.
We only have cable TV in our living room. We had another box for cable in two of the bedrooms, but we barely watched TV upstairs.

When we get the basement finished, I will need another hookup, but that will probably be a while til that happens.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Considered that, but would probably need to go I'm the unfinished storage which is not climate controlled. Not sure how a switch would hold up to that.
You couldn't locate it in a closet?

If I did as I'd like, I'd probably have to put the equipment in a bedroom closet as my attic also isn't climate controlled.

As it stands, there's a good chance I'm going to end up running cable up the outside of the house. :flee:.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The closets upstairs are fairly limited. I could probably do it, but I think home runs will help keep my equipment in a central place.

I think I'm going to run a 1.5-2" conduit front the basement to the attic/storage at the back for future needs. Will also likely run the flex (Smurf?) Tube conduit to the living room TVs and maybe the upstairs office.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Forgot about smurf tube.
Lowes had it for $23/100ft today, so I got 100ft of it. I'm thinking I'll use it to get to the two TV locations (home run to the first, then from first to second) in the living room from the network closet, then one from the network closet to the master bedroom. Then use the balance to run from the second floor boxes up to the attic. That gives me the ability to run fresh pulls to the second floor boxes from the attic which is relatively easy to access from the storage area where I'll have a 1.5" conduit to the basement.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Lowes had it for $23/100ft today, so I got 100ft of it. I'm thinking I'll use it to get to the two TV locations (home run to the first, then from first to second) in the living room from the network closet, then one from the network closet to the master bedroom. Then use the balance to run from the second floor boxes up to the attic. That gives me the ability to run fresh pulls to the second floor boxes from the attic which is relatively easy to access from the storage area where I'll have a 1.5" conduit to the basement.
What size tube did you buy?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
What size tube did you buy?
3/4" for the smurf tube. Got some screw in adapters and found that I could bore a 3/4" hole in the new work box, screw the adapter in, and hook the tube up that way. Seems pretty clean.

Going with a 1.5" PVC conduit from the basement to the 2nd floor storage/attic.