• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Got a new DD!

Max Power

Joe's Legs
Staff member
Administrator
Business in the scamming and phishing industry is doing really well, so I decided to splurge a little bit. I haven't had a car since Feb 2016 when I turned in my AWD Honda CRV once the lease ended. Given that nearly everyone I work with owns a Tesla, I decided to join the club!

At 6pm yesterday I became the proud owner of a Tesla Model S. Laugh if you want but EVs are the future. :tiphat:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Plugin a Tesla to your standard home outlet and it recharges at a rate of giving you approximately 4 miles per hour.

So if you are home 12 hours a day you can drive 48 miles a day, probably 35 safely. Maybe more if you spend your weekend at home and let it keep charging all weekend- but then you don't have a car on the weekend.

This doesn't sound like something ready for prime time. :shrug:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I could nerd out on an EV, would be even better to EV something that wasn't, that will come in the next life.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Plugin a Tesla to your standard home outlet and it recharges at a rate of giving you approximately 4 miles per hour.

So if you are home 12 hours a day you can drive 48 miles a day, probably 35 safely. Maybe more if you spend your weekend at home and let it keep charging all weekend- but then you don't have a car on the weekend.

To be fair there are free charging stations all over the place now. I'm sure you can safely run an EV these days as long as you want if you're willing to be parked at a gaint shopping center or attraction that will assuredly cost you $$$ to hang out...get where this is going?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
To be fair there are free charging stations all over the place now. I'm sure you can safely run an EV these days as long as you want if you're willing to be parked at a gaint shopping center or attraction that will assuredly cost you $$$ to hang out...get where this is going?
That might be OK on a road trip but it will get old (and expensive) very fast if you need to do it once or twice a week, every week.

John

Transplant
VIP

I got 2/hr when I tried it and 4/hr in a 240 volt outlet charging station. They need those direct current Tesla super chargers. This was on a few year old model S last year.

John

Transplant
VIP
Free charging station doesn't charge those fast enough. You need the tesla stations. It's also annoying that you have to use an adapter because they have their own stupid style plug.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Free charging station doesn't charge those fast enough. You need the tesla stations. It's also annoying that you have to use an adapter because they have their own stupid style plug.

Right, we have three or four spots at work, for me it would be a slam dunk, could leave it there all day I guess.

John

Transplant
VIP
Right, we have three or four spots at work, for me it would be a slam dunk, could leave it there all day I guess.
You have three or for Tesla charging stations are work? What I don't think you are grasping is that the public charging stations don't charge at nearly the same rate as the Tesla direct current super charging stations. 4 miles of range per hour is a joke. I thought something was wrong so I tried a few different stations. Pathetic. The Tesla one at the dealership charged it in like an hour.

Are you sure about those charging times? Tesla lists the at home charging speeds of between 7 and 52 miles per hour depending on how many amps your home circuit can handle. Even a lowly 15amp connection should charge a minimum of 7 miles per hour with a more typical 30 amp connecting adding 17 miles per hour.

EVs are definitely the future and would make for a great daily driver. However, IMHO an EV as your only car is a bad idea. Much better to go with something like a Chevy Volt - with an electric only range of over 50 miles and an engine that kicks in when battery gets low, most people would never need to burn gas for anything other than long trips but you CAN take long trips just like a regular gas powered car.

Taking a long trip in a Tesla or Chevy Bolt or Leaf or any other pure EV vehicle would just plain suck.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Wait there's a Chevy Volt and a Chevy Bolt? That is a terrible decision. People will be confused over which one they want.

Wait there's a Chevy Volt and a Chevy Bolt? That is a terrible decision. People will be confused over which one they want.
Yep - and I agree. Names are too similar.

Volt - an EREV (extended range electric vehicle). Estimaged 54 miles on battery, plugs in just like other EVs. If you go farther than that the engine comes on mainly to just charge the battery and gets mid 40's mpg. It looks and drives like a typical sedan and you can drive it cross country just like any gas powered car.

Bolt - EV with estimated 238 mile range. Looks more like an economy hatch back.

Despite the similar names, they are very different including looks. However, to make things even more confusing Chevy also makes a car they call a Spark. It's typical gas engine hatch back economy car that kinda sorta looks like the Bolt.. Before the Bolt came out, you could get a Spark EV - yep, an all electric Chevy Spark. Fortunately they dropped the Spark EV when they released the Bolt - the Bolt really is better than the Spark EV was in pretty much every way.

John

Transplant
VIP
Are you sure about those charging times? Tesla lists the at home charging speeds of between 7 and 52 miles per hour depending on how many amps your home circuit can handle. Even a lowly 15amp connection should charge a minimum of 7 miles per hour with a more typical 30 amp connecting adding 17 miles per hour.

EVs are definitely the future and would make for a great daily driver. However, IMHO an EV as your only car is a bad idea. Much better to go with something like a Chevy Volt - with an electric only range of over 50 miles and an engine that kicks in when battery gets low, most people would never need to burn gas for anything other than long trips but you CAN take long trips just like a regular gas powered car.

Taking a long trip in a Tesla or Chevy Bolt or Leaf or any other pure EV vehicle would just plain suck.
I'm positive. We were shocked. I was excited to have the car for the weekend but then never drove it after a day. You can watch it charge and it tells you digitally in the car. This wasn't a new one. It was a 2013 or 2014. Maybe they fixed something.

That all aside, I'd NEVER buy a new one. A lot are coming off leases now and people are dumping them. One that was $100k new is worth $60-70k wholesale one year old. Lease or buy used is the only way with those. Maserati level depreciation for reals.

BlackDak

Banned
VIP
It's not rocket science. Level 2 chargers charge at ~6 kwh. Most Teslas have 75 or 95 kw batteries. On my leaf, i have a 30 kw battery and get almost 4 miles per kw.

On level 2 i get about 20 miles of range on an hour charge. About 4 miles on 110 but I rarely need to charge at home.

That said I have friends/coworkers with Teslas. They can make it through the week spending an hour on a supercharger once or twice. Grandfathered in, they charge for free.

Last edited:
One issue is they are not all 6kwh. How fast you can charge depends on the amps your circuit can handle AND what the charger can push (there are multiple power options for at home level 2 chargers) and of course what the car can take. Either way, your 20 miles of charge per hour sounds a lot more like everything I've read. No, I don't have an EV, but I just have a hard time believing that Chevy, Nissan, Tesla, Chargepoint, etc. are all lying about what a 240v at home level 2 charger can do.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
One issue is they are not all 6kwh. How fast you can charge depends on the amps your circuit can handle AND what the charger can push (there are multiple power options for at home level 2 chargers) and of course what the car can take. Either way, your 20 miles of charge per hour sounds a lot more like everything I've read. No, I don't have an EV, but I just have a hard time believing that Chevy, Nissan, Tesla, Chargepoint, etc. are all lying about what a 240v at home level 2 charger can do.

John was talking about something from 13, that's like comparing an IPhone 4 to a Galaxy 8.

Max Power

Joe's Legs
Staff member
Administrator

BirdOPrey5 acts like a three prong outlet is the only way to charge a Tesla. :lol: :rolls:

Installing a charger at home is what most people do when they purchase a Tesla. Given that a three prong outlet is only 110v, then yes, you'll only get about 3-4 miles per hour of charge. A majority of people, though, get a Nema 14-50 outlet installed which will easily charge your car overnight. Likely there are very few owners who rely soley on a three prong outlet.