• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Hey computer geeks....Kat wants a new laptop....

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
currently she has an old Gateway netbook.

she does not want a tablet (although I think this is what she should get, but she is dumb)

she does not want any Apple products (again, she is dumb)

she wants something small, and portable with a little bit more computing power than the netbook....

suggestions? I will spend up to $500 on this.

she wants it mainly for surfing the web, emailing and doing household crap on.
Cheap, fast enough, really cool features, can do anything she wants --

ASUS S200E RBCLT09 Laptop Computer With 116 Touch Screen Display Intel Celeron Processor by Office Depot

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You couldn't give me an HP laptop after the one I purchased from and returned to Best Buy... or a Sony after working at CompUSA 14 years ago.

Dell, Apple, or maybe Toshiba. I personally haven't been impressed with any laptop since I bought my Macbook Pro. I'd strongly urge a Macbook Air. Even if you format it and install Windows 7.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
:jump: Yes, I'm sure Sony laptops are exactly the same as they were 14 years ago in 1999.
It was enough to turn me off from them totally and completely. Sony = Apple prices with Packard Bell quality.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
From 2002 - 2008, at least, Sony was awesome.
Sony was never awesome when it came to computers. Your weird love affair with their chargers is hard to explain, but I can only assume that you feel the need to justify the outrageous cash outlay for sub-par equipment.

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
Staples has a Dell 15 in for $279. My daughter just got one. Seems decent enough, other than Windows 8. Configuring that laptop was my 1st time using Win8. But for the money, not too bad.

I don't think you can buy a new laptop/netbook today that isn't plenty adequate for web surfing and e-mail type tasks. Just take her to whatever electronics store you have around there and let her pick the one she likes best.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Speaking of which, the Surface RT vs Ipad commercials are f'n stupid. The RT doesn't compete with the iPad at any level. At best, the Surface RT competes with low end Android tablets and the Pro competes with the Macbook Air. They may as well have put the Surface up against a Dodge Durango and declared victory.
:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
You couldn't give me an HP laptop after the one I purchased from and returned to Best Buy... or a Sony after working at CompUSA 14 years ago.

Dell, Apple, or maybe Toshiba. I personally haven't been impressed with any laptop since I bought my Macbook Pro. I'd strongly urge a Macbook Air. Even if you format it and install Windows 7.
Change that to any consumer marketed device and you have something... beyond that not so much.

I wouldn't buy any consumer PC if I can get away with it unless it includes restore media that will allow me to install a truly virgin OS image.

Just refreshed a coworker's computer using factory restore. Um, yeah, I'm spending more time cleaning factory bloat than actually refreshing it.

Ulf Fwatling

currently she has an old Gateway netbook.

she does not want a tablet (although I think this is what she should get, but she is dumb)
I won't pass judgement on her intellect - but a decent tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard can be had reasonably, and should do what she wants to do.

she does not want any Apple products (again, she is dumb)
I definitely won't pass judgement here - because you wouldn't agree with me (Apple products are for the coloured-pencil crowd. Apple can make things look good, but I've not had one that worked worth a damn.

she wants something small, and portable with a little bit more computing power than the netbook....

suggestions? I will spend up to $500 on this.

she wants it mainly for surfing the web, emailing and doing household crap on.
Acer makes a good tablet - my wife and I both have A100s (although I've decided I need a larger screen so I can properly read diagrams and graphs in the various references I keep on it...) I've heard Lenovo tabs are good too (I've been using their laptops for years!) but I would stay away from Win8 - I don't know what Microsoft was thinking, but you just don't need that much crap built in to an operating system (I'll stick to Android, thanks. As I recall, it's a Linux core...)