• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Washer/dryer recommendations

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Ours are on their last legs and we are going to need to get new ones soon. Found a Samsung front load washer and gas dryer that are reasonably priced. Not looking to drop a lot of cash on them, but they will need to handle cloth diapers when kiddo #2 arrives next March.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
Love our Maytag Maxima 6000 series front load machines.

Your wife will like the sanitize function for the cloth diapers.

if you go front loader - use powder detergent. The liquid stuff congeals around the gasket and drum and causes a foul odor.

I cleaned the hell out ours and then told the wife to use powder only just putting it directly in the drum and there has not been another issue since.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
This day is fast approaching. I have a set of neptunes that have been great but they are both going to need some money sunk in them in the near future.

Ralph

VIP
Wifey and I went to HD tonight and bought a set of Maytag Bravos.

Maytag Bravos XL 4.8 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR-MVWB880BW at The Home Depot

Maytag Bravos XL 7.3 cu. ft. Electric Dryer with Steam in White-MEDB725BW at The Home Depot

Speaking as a former HD schlep, the HD schlep was pretty good as far as HD schleps go. I asked him if he was buying a w/d set, what brand would he get - LG, Samsung, or Maytag? His answer was that in the same price range they're all about the same as far as features, build quality and support after the sale. Basically whichever one floats your boat as far as controls and appearance.

HD had 10% off appliances, so that was good for $160 back, plus a $150 mail in rebate. [edit]and $25 from our power company.

Last edited:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I just don't know about that HE detergent requirement. Wtf is the difference in detergents

Ralph

VIP
I just don't know about that HE detergent requirement. Wtf is the difference in detergents
It just doesn't suds as much. HE machines will foam over if you use regular stuff in them. We've been using HE detergent in our old machine for years anyway, it seems to rinse out better.

Ralph

VIP
So this whole "not having a dryer" thing sucks balls. It takes HD over 2 weeks to deliver them.

My socks and wifebeaters don't fit. They normally shrink down in the dryer, and we're line drying them right now. :naw:

Ralph

VIP
I fixed my dryer the otherday. Was about to go blow a couple grand on some new ones and remembered that I have skills.
I decided not to fix mine. It's 30 years old and has been "fixed" many times before by my dad. He's a good shit, but he's just not attentive to detail on some things. The electrical connection block on the old dryer is hanging loose. The cord is not clamped; it is just run loosely through the sheet metal.

I actually tried to take it apart when it started squealing. But I discovered that one of the screws was stripped. Unfortunately the screw was stainless, so I couldn't get an easy-out to grab on it, nor could I drill it out. That was the last straw. **** it. All things considered, it's time for us to buy some adult appliances.