• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

ryobi P827 combo package

Ryobi one+ and Craftsman C3 are pretty much identical. Made by the same company with just enough minor differences to make the batteries incompatible. I have a number of C3 tools and I'm happy enough with them that I plan to keep buying them whenever I need a new tool. Just bought a hammer drill last week.

Unless you're a pro using them every day for work, Ryobi one+ or Craftsman C3 will be plenty good for around the house. Whatever you do, look through the various tools and accessories available for different brands and figure out what tools you might want to buy in the future. Then stick with one line. I have several tools, 6 batteries, and a 4 port battery and maintenance station. No more worrying that my batteries are dead from sitting for a few months.

Ralph

VIP
I've had Craftsman cordless in the past that treated me very well. The only problem with them is that they seem to change vendors every year or two. This makes getting batteries a bitch a few years down the road. Ryobi has been using that same style 18 volt battery since day one on every 18 volt Ryobi tool ever made. That's huge, considering now the tools are essentially disposable.

I've had Craftsman cordless in the past that treated me very well. The only problem with them is that they seem to change vendors every year or two. This makes getting batteries a bitch a few years down the road.
eh? Craftsman has dabbled in other battery voltages and styles over the years including a 20v pro series, but the C3s have been around a long time and that isn't changing. I can't speak to other lines, only the 19.2v C3s. I forget exactly when I bought my first kit, but it has to be 10 to 15 years ago and I'm still using the original tools with new Li batteries. In fact, the C3 line is being expanded again.

Ralph

VIP
eh? Craftsman has dabbled in other battery voltages and styles over the years including a 20v pro series, but the C3s have been around a long time and that isn't changing. I can't speak to other lines, only the 19.2v C3s. I forget exactly when I bought my first kit, but it has to be 10 to 15 years ago and I'm still using the original tools with new Li batteries. In fact, the C3 line is being expanded again.
:shrug: Maybe they finally wised up. It's a big part of why I stopped buying Craftsman cordless. That and the fact that Kmart has become a better place to buy Craftsman tools than the local Sears store.

John

Transplant
VIP
The last couple of times I went to Sears to buy tools, I couldn't have had much worse service. Bad enough that I'll probably never be back.

Edit:
One time I set my purchase down and left after at least 20 min in line (with one person in front of me). The last time I gave up after about 30 min and went to another dept. she was super unprofessional and didn't went to help but finally did and talked shit about the other dept the whole time.

Last edited:

Ralph

VIP
The last couple of times I went to Sears to buy tools, I couldn't have had much worse service. Bad enough that I'll probably never be back.
Our local store used to be corporate, but its now one of those franchised "hometown stores".

I went in there looking for a fridge last fall... Walk in to damn near an empty store... Employee near door... I said "hey, I'm looking for a fridge - something simple" Employee "yeah, great, they're over there." I just turned around and walked out.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
That iPad or whatever Sears clerks are using instead of the registers is crap. None of them can seem to get it to work. I haven't been to Sears in about a year, last couple times I was there they fought with the iPad and the last time I put the stuff back on a shelf and left.

I'll swing through the Super Kmart to see if they have whatever Craftsman tool I am looking for. Big advantage to Super K: it's closer to home and work, and I don't have to go to the mall. Summit Racing carries Craftsman and can have it here the next day.

The local Sears Outlet store smells funny. I don't go there much. I miss the Sears Hardware stores, one was next to Super K and was the first one to close after the merge/buyout/whatever.

Last edited:

John

Transplant
VIP
I wonder of sears has any idea how many people leave their stores like that. I've never seen anything like it. It's sad and absurd.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
There hasn't been many people in there the last few times I've gone. Drive by that end of the mall and the parking lot outside the tool department entrance has just a few cars.

But then I'm not one for crowds...couple weeks ago I walked into Harbor Freight, saw two lines for the registers going back to the middle of the store, said "f this" and left.

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
I thought I was in Mehico last time I went to sears. Hide the damn sharpies!

Ryobi - Stay away from any router/drill/driver bits. Other than that, I can't say anything else bad.

sears should just close up their stores and sell Craftsman either online or sell the name to some other entity.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Didn't know that Summit Racing sold Craftsman tools. Will have to keep that in mind since the local corporate Sears closed and the replacement "hometown" store doesn't have much in the way of tools.

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
I've got:
  • standard 3/8" drill
  • 1/2" hammer drill
  • 1/4" impact driver
  • sawzall
  • circular saw
  • light
  • right angle drill
  • blower
  • weedwacker

They've all been great. We used to use the Ryobi tuff in store at HD and beat the shit out of it. It never missed a beat.
I used the recip saw and drill over the weekend... seems to be a good purchase. Took the trimmer back and will order the 18v online from HD- same price as the corded one we took back and saves $40 over what they have in the store... the version in the store comes with a charger- no battery for$89. Online the trimmer it's available for $49 with free shipping.