• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Possibly the last person on earth to try linux

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Caveat - Microsoft applications do not run natively though there are means to make them run. I've used Crossover to get applications operational.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Caveat - Microsoft applications do not run natively though there are means to make them run. I've used Crossover to get applications operational.
Off the top of my head.... Open Office and Thunderbird.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Can a Linux machine run office applications which communicate with ge rest of the business world? Outlook for example.
The Online Office stuff that everyone should have been using for the past 5-ish years works fine on any platform, Linux included.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Office 365?
Yeah (or whatever the hell they call it now.) I have local versions of spreadsheet, document shit, and presentation shit just like I did when running Windows. I haven't needed an installed version of something like Outlook for a long time. The online client for both Office and Google stuff is plenty capable for me, and then I know I can see it the same no matter where I access it from.

The usefulness of the installed programs is hit or miss - mostly hit, but a few things are annoying as ****. I don't use it enough for it to be a big deal, though. If one used Excel all day every day I would tell them to stick with Windows, because these have a few things wrong with them that would drive one nuts if they spent years using Excel and moved to this. The one that pisses me off is importing fixed-width text files. I do database shit, so someone may want a relatively simple query - I can just type that and dump it into a txt file, then import it into Excel fairly easily. LibreOffice and WPS are kind of stupid at recognizing the break-points in a fixed-width text file, even if it has underlined headers clearly showing where the break points are. Excel has that problem a lot too, though. The annoyance is that these programs don't establish it as a "data connection" like Excel does. If I take the time to mark the column breaks in Excel and send it to them and they ask for a few more records I can update and re-run my simple query and then "refresh" the data in Excel. This one makes me start from scratch again - a minor annoyance for me, but could be a computer-stabbing scream-cussing irritation if that's what someone did all day every day.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Not all enterprises will allow for their use. I know we do not.
In that case, Linux is irrelevant anyway since if they lock you down to certain applications, they almost certainly lock you down to a specific OS or even version of OS.