• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Bamboo Floors

sidewalkman

King of Canada
Corks is pretty soft but resilient, I have seen lots up here and it is a really cool alternative to HW. Wears well.

HappyJeep

Have bamboo in the master bedroom. I like it. Looks & installs very like prefinished hardwood but is less expensive & a bit easier to work with. You have to cut it upside-down (finished side down) to prevent splintering. Installed it with a finish nail gun & that worked perfectly. Probably not quite as durable as HW but again, easier & cheaper. If we were staying here, I'd probably do the other bedrooms & the upstairs hall with it, but we're not so they will get kinda-cheap carpet once we finish painting.

Murf

Bamboo is pretty durable. Laid it in the Kitchen, looks classy but it scratched when I tried to Spin the fridge into place. If you are doing it in a kitchen just but down some thick cardboard or peice of paneling to move the fridge or any heavy furniture

scott00tj

The Missing Goonie
VIP
Bamboo is pretty durable. Laid it in the Kitchen, looks classy but it scratched when I tried to Spin the fridge into place. If you are doing it in a kitchen just but down some thick cardboard or peice of paneling to move the fridge or any heavy furniture
I'm thinking for a kitchen/hallway install. Something that will get a lot of traffic.

skimblz

Ski Bum
We put Brazilian 3/4" teak down in our living room, dining room, and home office area. Worked out very well. Didn't pay the 2.49/ft, though we did over 1000 sq ft. We had a local place order it for us for just a bit more. We did rip out the old oak that was in there, so we offset the cost a bit by doing a lot of the work ourselves.

We seriously considered bamboo, but we ended up wanting something a bit darker than the bamboo we saw.

For the kitchen, we went with a tile layout. Smaller square tile under where the cabinets went. Then a line of 2" square tiles. Both those tiles made a nice border around the kitchen and breakfast area. Then the inner most tiles were 16" tiles set on the diagonal. The tiles match the backsplash my wife and I did above the counters.

I can post pics of the flooring we did if anybody cares, but I don't wanna pollute a bamboo thread with tile and teak. :)

Last edited: