• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

My baby

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Here is a quote from Road and Track on the 2008 focus, which is the same exact one as mine.
Contributing to the new comfort is a significantly quieter interior. Wind-tunnel tests have helped reduce wind noise by 8 percent, and a special acoustic windshield teams with slightly thicker side glass and other sound-deadening materials in the door panels, C-pillars and parcel shelf to make the Focus impressively quiet.

With the new Wayne, Michigan-built Focus, Ford has kept the good (the handling dynamics) and fixed the bad (the dated interior and road noise), while frosting the deal with the reasonably priced Sync.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
You guys sure hate on the XJ a lot. For a car designed by a dying AMC in the 80s, it's not terrible. Is it a great car? No, but it's a car designed by a dying AMC in the 80s. I had one, drove it for several years, and was reasonably pleased with it.
:shrug:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
No, I drove a piece of shit Jeep in your area a few weeks ago and it had a lot of road noise. The roads there are pretty friggin' loud actually. They have that grooved finished concrete. It's gotta be loud in your car.

Your sister finds the shittiest examples of any car and buys them. ;)
I have two. One had a bad experience with a Subaru. This one is my youngest sister, the one who rolled the 4-runner I got her. She has some Ford hybrid similar to a Prius. I don't remember the model, but it has quite a bit less road noise than the '08 Focus she ran for a few years before going overseas to work.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
No, I drove a piece of shit Jeep in your area a few weeks ago and it had a lot of road noise. The roads there are pretty friggin' loud actually. They have that grooved finished concrete. It's gotta be loud in your car.

I have two. One had a bad experience with a Subaru. This one is my youngest sister, the one who rolled the 4-runner I got her. She has some Ford hybrid similar to a Prius. I don't remember the model, but it has quite a bit less road noise than the '08 Focus she ran for a few years before going overseas to work.
Pics?

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
Right but you know I think the XJ is golden.
That is the problem. Compared to other 1984 vehicles, the XJ was indeed a good design.

kind of like this, but I don't see anyone using one of these every day:

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
The only XJ experiences I have is my family had a 1991 Briarwood and I looked at buying a '91 Briarwood out of NJ as my first vehicle, but bought the YJ instead. I really liked the Briarwood, but was in HS at the time. My roommate in college had a '99 Classic Limited and it was a decent XJ too.

I'd take either of the aforementioned XJs, in the condition they were in at the time of ownership, over the Compass I rolled around in during my visit to Ft. Collins.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
You liked your XJ.
Yeah, but it is not exactly the base line for a quality vehicle jjj

I liked the size, the style, and the simplicity. Nothing like that exists any more on the new car market. A 4Runner and a JK are the closest and they are a lot bigger.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Yeah, but it is not exactly the base line for a quality vehicle jjj

I liked the size, the style, and the simplicity. Nothing like that exists any more on the new car market. A 4Runner and a JK are the closest and they are a lot bigger.
Yeah no shit, I'm not saying it's refined but like you say, nothing exists that is quite like it.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Put new steering wheel cruise and radio controls in tonight. Had to take the steering wheel apart aka take the air bag off. Did due diligence and de energized the car for about 20 minutes and handled it with care. Came off easy enough and the controls went in with no issues. Problem wasn't the switch function, I wore all the paint off in 9 years so all I had for indication was my memory of what went where. Not difficult but it's nice to see everything as it should be.