• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Finally did Win 10 Upgrade

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
Did you wipe the disk and start a fresh install?
I believe if you install from media as opposed to Windows updates it calls for a key.

If it's not on the hardware there are keyfinders out there but they give you the first 4 characters and want $$ for the rest. :rant:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
If you're using the mist current production build of win 10, you can do a clean install with a win 7 key. At least until the 29th. After that you're screwed.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
Clearly I'm the minority here but I hate windows 10 and their app BS.
going from 7 to 10 thats understandable, but I think the real purpose of Win10 is to save the world from blight of Win8.1, and to kiss and make up by offering it for free.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
going from 7 to 10 thats understandable, but I think the real purpose of Win10 is to save the world from blight of Win8.1, and to kiss and make up by offering it for free.
The real purpose is increased security because most people are too stupid to be be expected to maintain system security themselves.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm planning to use Win 10 when I get my new workstation at work.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'd like to have it on my system at work but since many things are set via GP and I cannot control GP, they either don't work at all or I'm rigging things up manually. Which then becomes a problem once Win 10 policy gets developed.

May still install it on the new workstation I get this week.

Will, are there any generic benchmarks you'd like to see from my new machine? It's pretty similar to what you're looking at.

i7 6700, 256gb SSD, 32GB RAM, AMD W5100 graphics.

No secondary storage by default (I have a 1tb drive I'll install). I run 3 23" IPS displays.

For that matter, I could probably give you some Passmark comparisons of the different models I tested.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Clearly I'm the minority here but I hate windows 10 and their app BS.
Pretty sure you can disable all or most of it. I did on the Internet, photos, videos, etc. Just choose the regular programs. I felt a bit the same way, but Windows 10 screams when compared to 7. I like the weather app. :shrug:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
any word on what they are going to charge after 7/29?
I always suspected they would extend the free offer since they are all about getting people to switch rather than make money from the upgrade.

If they were smart they'd charge $100 for a month and then go back to a "limited time" for free or maybe $10, so everyone will think they're getting a deal.

neevo

Limey Hippo
It seems that people are posting that m$ will be charging for qin10. This seems to be a misunderstanding by many. They will be charging $7/m or $84/yr for an Enterprise version
This is nowt new, they charged ro Enterprise versions this way before so there's nothing to worry about at the moment

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It seems that people are posting that m$ will be charging for qin10. This seems to be a misunderstanding by many. They will be charging $7/m or $84/yr for an Enterprise version
I disagree. Microsoft was very clear the upgrade to Windows 10 for Win 7 and Win 8.x users would be free until July 29, 2016. That implies after July 29th, they're going to start charging.

How much will Windows 10 cost at the end of the free upgrade period?

It may well have been a threat to get people to upgrade sooner, and if so, it worked, at least in my case. However if they don't charge something come the 29th it will be the last time they can use that trick.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I disagree. Microsoft was very clear the upgrade to Windows 10 for Win 7 and Win 8.x users would be free until July 29, 2016. That implies after July 29th, they're going to start charging.

How much will Windows 10 cost at the end of the free upgrade period?

It may well have been a threat to get people to upgrade sooner, and if so, it worked, at least in my case. However if they don't charge something come the 29th it will be the last time they can use that trick.
It won't. Right now it's an "upgrade". After July 29, you need to go to MS Support and obtain the full version which will eliminate your previous version of Windows. Currently, you can revert back. You can opt to call MS and one of their techs will install it for you, but Windows 7/8 will be gone.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
If you have a valid Win7 license, as in you have the Win7 key, you can download and install the current equivalent version of Win10 using that Win7 key. Fresh virgin install without ever having Win7 present.

If you have Win7 installed and activated, you can do an upgrade install. Microsoft activates Win10 based on the prior Win7 license.