• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Posting from the Raspberry Pi

neelandan

Owner of dot net

Posting this thread from the raspberry pi credit-card sized computer.

Cost me around $45 eqv for the board alone. I added a CF card, USB power supply and a network cable.

Last edited:

neelandan

Owner of dot net
Played with it a bit, added LAMP (Apache, MySql & PHP) so it might host a Vbulletin site (not likely).

Right now it is right next to the cable modem/wifi router combo, connected to it with a short ethernet patch cord and powered with a 1A - 5.1V usb power supply.

I don't have a hdmi monitor, and the tv out was blurry, so I'm connecting to it from my netbook using ssh (commandline) or vnc (graphical).

I might set up port forwarding and post a link to it here some time.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I have had one for a while. Haven't quite found a use for it, but I do SSH into it on occasion and I bought the camera board to connect to it as well.

neelandan

Owner of dot net
Good post but why is the image upside down. :puzzled:
PNG images posted on imageshack seem to go upside down after a while. My computer saves screenshots as png files by default, and my solution is to convert them to jpeg before uploading them. Sometimes I forget.

neelandan

Owner of dot net
Call it what you will.

I downloaded the image, turned it around, converted to jpg, and uploaded it again and edited the post.

It might be a browser issue with PNG images - when I refreshed the page it was turned sideways.

neelandan

Owner of dot net
I dug it out again. I had forgotten the passwords, so I downloaded raspibian and reloaded the card.

I connected it to a monitor using a HDMI to VGA cable, and a USB hub/converter combo to connect my ancient ps2 keyboard and mouse.

It booted up fine and the display was crisp. I plugged in a WiFi adapter and after some fumbling around with the settings, mainly because I did not bother to read the manual first, I got it to connect to the internet.

It tended to freeze if I scrolled too fast, and I suspected my mouse to be at fault. But it was the old phone charger I was using to power it that was the problem. Everything was fine when I used my tab's charger rated at 1.5A.

So I removed everything except the WiFi dongle and it works fine. It can be placed anywhere within range of the WiFi and I can interact with it via ssh or vnc.

It currently has a 4 GB card for the operating system, and one free USB port which could have a USB stick with 64 GB or more of storage.

As I tend to use my phone, tab or netbook to look at and interact with the same set of stuff this NAS setup would make it easier to keep data in sync.

I measured the current draw. It was less than 700mA at 5V, a power of Three and a half watts.

And that is quite impressive.