• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

DUST!!!

(someone had to make a first thread)

Anyone ever try one of those ionic breeze things or have some other idea to keep dust out of the air? There is considerably more dust here than anywhere else I've ever lived. I change my HVAC air filter regularly and it's always thick with dust. I can clean something and a week later it has a thin white film of dust.

I'm not allergic, but I know there must be some people here with dust allergies that have good ideas. Short of hiring a maid anyone have any constructive ideas?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I had setup one of the Oreck model air filters... they advertise it as 'No filters you have to clean" although it is VERY STRONGLY RECOMMENDED you clean them- you learn that after you buy it. :banghead:

I ended up have to shut it off- it sounds too much like it's shorting out when the ion charged plates in there get too dusty.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
ionic breeze is a scam.

tear your house down and rebuild, keep it hermetically sealed and you should be good to go.

at least your dust is white... dust that shows in my place is black from coal.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I have to say when I use Pledge on something it gives me 2 to 3 times as long before I see dust noticeably build...

The other thing that cut down a lot on dust was to stop using a spay/aerosol type deodorant, especially in the bedroom which is where I apply it.

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
With the current allergy season attacks I found the need to try a filter. I got a HEPA airfilter that I drag from room to room with me as needed. Helps a bit. Seems to help a bit. Ozone cleaners generate more crap than they clean so stay away from those.

Thanks for the surprisingly good advice. I think themonk may have hit the nail on the head. Now that the weather has warmed up I've been opening the windows a lot, and was just noticing the last couple weeks how much dust is everywhere. I'm also finishing the basement which I know has been adding stuff the last couple months.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Thanks for the surprisingly good advice. I think themonk may have hit the nail on the head. Now that the weather has warmed up I've been opening the windows a lot, and was just noticing the last couple weeks how much dust is everywhere. I'm also finishing the basement which I know has been adding stuff the last couple months.
There you have it.

Having a force air HVAC system will further distribute the dust if you don't have an adequate filter. While doing the remodeling work, clean your filter more often. Change out of the clothing you wear while working prior to going back into the living areas of the house.

There you have it.

Having a force air HVAC system will further distribute the dust if you don't have an adequate filter. While doing the remodeling work, clean your filter more often. Change out of the clothing you wear while working prior to going back into the living areas of the house.
I know that is part of it, but that's been going on for a few months. It's been the last couple weeks that I've noticed the dust getting really bad. I think it is partly because of the basement, and partly because I've been leaving the house open for fresh air. I have been changing out the filter more often, but I'm also using cheaper filters.. Yet another contributor I'm sure.

The real question is what to do about it, not necessarily the cause. Sounds like those room air filters, Orek, Ionic breeze, etc. are not worth it. I guess I should switch back to the more expensive filters and possibly keep the house closed up more. I hate doing that though, I'd rather have the house open and get fresh air than have less dust.

Maybe I should hire someone to dust. I hear the naked maid type places really clean up. ;)

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
I know that is part of it, but that's been going on for a few months. It's been the last couple weeks that I've noticed the dust getting really bad. I think it is partly because of the basement, and partly because I've been leaving the house open for fresh air. I have been changing out the filter more often, but I'm also using cheaper filters.. Yet another contributor I'm sure.

The real question is what to do about it, not necessarily the cause. Sounds like those room air filters, Orek, Ionic breeze, etc. are not worth it. I guess I should switch back to the more expensive filters and possibly keep the house closed up more. I hate doing that though, I'd rather have the house open and get fresh air than have less dust.

Maybe I should hire someone to dust. I hear the naked maid type places really clean up. ;)

I use four inch filters during the spring and summer months and that has helped a lot in regard to dust. My allergist said not to sleep with the windows open (pollen worst from 10 PM to 4 AM according to her) so my fresh air is pumped into the house... filter cuts the dust and the pollen so it is a win-win.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I live in the desert and have to have windows open for the swamp cooler to work....dust is just a part of our lives out here.

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
Be sure your weatherstripping in all your windows and doors is in good shape.

scott00tj

The Missing Goonie
VIP
I was given an automovie ionic breeze once. Plugged into the cig lighter. I think all it did was buzz and give me a headache.

I use four inch filters during the spring and summer months and that has helped a lot in regard to dust. My allergist said not to sleep with the windows open (pollen worst from 10 PM to 4 AM according to her) so my fresh air is pumped into the house... filter cuts the dust and the pollen so it is a win-win.
4 inch filter???

whatever

I engineered my filter housing to hold an Air Bear filter and then leave my fan running all the time, keeps the air nice and clean.

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
4 inch filter???
Yep, my system will use anything from 1 inch to 4 inch filter... when I had my ac and furnace replaced a couple of years ago the guy installing it asked if I had allergies etc. When I told him yes, he popped out a brochure on how filter size can improve the air quality and said he would install the 4 inch drawer so I could use what ever size filter I wanted. No extra charge.

I have found the four inch filters to make a noticeable difference in dust/pollen in the house during spring and summer so I guess he was telling the truth.

Last edited: