• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Who Here Works In I.T.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
IT Auditor... in September. Currently IT Manager for a department at LSU. More like THE IT department...

Cayuse

Working to live
IN. A little bit of everything, Unix, Active Directory, Networking, Security, Phones, HVAC (it's on the network), printers etc. Too many hats to wear and too little time.

Dizing5.2

Speedfreakz
IT Assistant at a Large business/accounting firm. Just my boss and I, with me doing all the work.

Im not sure I want to continue toward IT. Network Admin sucks. When everything is quiet, it is INCREDIBLY boring. I dont know if I could do this for 20 years..:bewhew:

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
IT Assistant at a Large business/accounting firm. Just my boss and I, with me doing all the work.

Im not sure I want to continue toward IT. Network Admin sucks. When everything is quiet, it is INCREDIBLY boring. I dont know if I could do this for 20 years..:bewhew:
There's a lot of boredom in the hardware break/fix area too. After a while, you've seen pretty much all the normal problems with th only challenges being whether you get good parts or not.

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
In. Spent 14 years as an application programmer and recently joined the dark side and became a IT manager. I am not sure I will stay on the management side, but it is sure interesting to see how things work on this side of the aisle.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP

If it's two of you, its NOT a large company - period.... Think big... Nothing in IT is ever boring - or it doesn't have to be.

I work on the application side in ECM, RM, eDiscovery.... I'm not saying I like it, but I certain could think of worse things to do. Subject matter is certainly boring, but the technical side is pretty cool.

It's all in what you make it.

IN. A little bit of everything, Unix, Active Directory, Networking, Security, Phones, HVAC (it's on the network), printers etc. Too many hats to wear and too little time.

x2 in addition to web development and a little bit of marketing. I wear many hats here.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
It was good it its day, but when I last worked with it (back when Win95/98 was current) I had nothing but problems with it. Probably because the system I was running was an ancient beast at the time but kind of soured me on it.

neevo

Limey Hippo
IN

Current job is the entire process from sourcing parts to building mostly servers. I'm about the best there is :thup2: Previous job had me building most of the new computers for the new air traffic control centre for the UK (based on my build quality etc). Some of the old crap they have in there was scary until I discovered they just used banks of the old sped stuff to log air traffic.

heh I'm incredibly modest too :rotflmao:

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
I am the only one who still works with NetWare? I still love the O/S.
LOL. The only time I 'work' on it is to get clients off of it. They apparently don't give shit for discounts to non-profit customers :naw:. MS gives huge discounts though

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
LOL. The only time I 'work' on it is to get clients off of it. They apparently don't give shit for discounts to non-profit customers :naw:. MS gives huge discounts though
One of the main reasons I never progressed to the newer versions is that Netware's didn't support the concept of tryouts. Hell, MS gave me a free and clear legal copy of W2kAs when it was new and current. The MS Action Pack got me exposed to many of their other technologies on teh uber cheap... not so from Netware.

Cayuse

Working to live
One of the main reasons I never progressed to the newer versions is that Netware's didn't support the concept of tryouts. Hell, MS gave me a free and clear legal copy of W2kAs when it was new and current. The MS Action Pack got me exposed to many of their other technologies on teh uber cheap... not so from Netware.
M$ Actioln pack is one of the best deals out there.